Big Will

What do you guys think about the breakaway hdx?

18 posts in this topic

I'm sure people have asked about this rod before but I would like to know more about it before dropping the money on one when there are other options. I would be pairing it with my saltist bg30h. I used to have a pinnacle absolute I forget the exact model but it was the special edition heaver one. The problem with that rod even though it was pretty light in weight for such a heavy rod was that even with 20 pound fish there wasn't much of a fight because the action of the rod was so heavy. It would have been better suited for sharks. I've looked at the st croix mojo 12' rated 6 to 16 as well. I need something that can throw 6 to 8 oz of lead and a bunker head. I want the rod to be as light as possible in weight with some action in the tip, maybe a rod that loads a little further down the blank not just a broomstick but something I could enjoy catching fish with. Distance is important. Fitting in my car is also important, so does anyone have any idea the length of the two sections of the breakaway? Anything else you can tell me about the rod would be useful I've never seen one in person but it seems to be what I'm looking for from what I've read. 

Excellent rod for the money.......would recommend the tournament butt with the standard tip....that will give you over 13', but you can cut butt tip as needed. The tournament butt is stiffer and permits greater leverage and distance.....the HDX with standard tip is 13' with two equal sections. I've owned several HDXs....got rid of all my standard butts in favor of the tournament ones. It is a stiff rod.....tip is stiff as well.

I only have experience with the pinnacle I had and I don't think anything could be as heavy and stiff as that rod except maybe an ocean master. I've tried out one of the heavy gsb blanks as well the 11' foot one I forget which model but I would prefer a longer rod capable of casting distance. I'm pretty set on the breakaway. Just wondering what other people thought and thank you for letting me know it has equal sections because I couldn't find that info anywhere or the weight of the rod either. I'm not sure what you mean by the tournament butt? I was looking at just getting the one already built from breakaway, just the standard one. 

I wish I still had that pinnacle though it's the only one I've ever seen and I've never seen any info online about it. If the butt was shortened it would have made the perfect bridge rod. 

Just got my hdx in the mail. Seems pretty heavy duty. The one thing i don't like though is the super long butt on the rod. Has anyone ever cut these back about 6"? Seems like it would be perfect with a little off the end and there would be no way that would change the action of this rod there is almost no action :laugh: 

On 9/20/2017 at 8:13 PM, dcast said:

Excellent rod for the money.......would recommend the tournament butt with the standard tip....that will give you over 13', but you can cut butt tip as needed. The tournament butt is stiffer and permits greater leverage and distance.....the HDX with standard tip is 13' with two equal sections. I've owned several HDXs....got rid of all my standard butts in favor of the tournament ones. It is a stiff rod.....tip is stiff as well.

I just saw this and I don't understand how a butt could be stiffer than on this rod. I could probably land a 100lb tuna with this if i had enough line capacity on the reel. I don't see how 20 lbs of drag could even fully load this rod. Do you know anyone who has cut some of the butt off to make it shorter?

21 minutes ago, Big Will said:

I just saw this and I don't understand how a butt could be stiffer than on this rod. I could probably land a 100lb tuna with this if i had enough line capacity on the reel. I don't see how 20 lbs of drag could even fully load this rod. Do you know anyone who has cut some of the butt off to make it shorter?

I've done it on two.....full length now 13'5"....

Just now, dcast said:

I've done it on two.....full length now 13'5"....

Mines the 13'. It's not the one with the tournament butt

I think it would have been the perfect rod if it was built just a little differently. They should have cut it down from the butt to 12' and placed the reel seat 6 inches higher. It would be so nice like that 

Posted (edited)

Hey Will,

This is a copy and paste of my post on the rod building forum, but put it here too as you may get some suggestions / remarks regarding my last suggestion of a tourno style low reel position which you are unlikely to get in the rod building forum:

Before you resort to cutting, there are a couple of things you can try.

Are you fishing a conventional / multiplier or a fixed spool / spinner?

If a conventional, speak to Breakaway about a pair of coaster clips (have attached an image of their clips) they make moving a reel position dead easy, you may want to use them permanently, or they can help you find a position you like and then you can get someone to fit a reel seat where you want it.

If you are using a fixed spool, coasters will work in helping you find the right position, but they are awkward with a spinner for long term use.

Then, you could get yourself a Fuji plate-type reel seat (will also work OK with a convectional reel - image attached too) these are more of a ball-ache to move around but you can fish with them once you are happy.

Cutting is your last resort, that rod is 13' for a good reason - easier distance.

As an aside: if you are fishing conventional (or even a spinner but it will take some getting used to) use the coasters to position the reel WAY low down on the butt, like about 6" from the butt cap to the reel centre.

This changes the weight balance of the rod dramatically; we use it down here in South Africa.

The Hawaiians also do it, as do many tournament casters.

Use a rod bucket and it is a very comfortable way to fish

The thing is, other than weight balance, you are effectively chopping 6" off the total length: your 13' will feel like a 12'6".

Breakaway coasters.jpg

Fuji Plate Seat.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

8 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Hey Will,

This is a copy and paste of my post on the rod building forum, but put it here too as you may get some suggestions / remarks regarding my last suggestion of a tourno style low reel position which you are unlikely to get in the rod building forum:

Before you resort to cutting, there are a couple of things you can try.

Are you fishing a conventional / multiplier or a fixed spool / spinner?

If a conventional, speak to Breakaway about a pair of coaster clips (have attached an image of their clips) they make moving a reel position dead easy, you may want to use them permanently, or they can help you find a position you like and then you can get someone to fit a reel seat where you want it.

If you are using a fixed spool, coasters will work in helping you find the right position, but they are awkward with a spinner for long term use.

Then, you could get yourself a Fuji plate-type reel seat (will also work OK with a convectional reel - image attached too) these are more of a ball-ache to move around but you can fish with them once you are happy.

Cutting is your last resort, that rod is 13' for a good reason - easier distance.

As an aside: if you are fishing conventional (or even a spinner but it will take some getting used to) use the coasters to position the reel WAY low down on the butt, like about 6" from the butt cap to the reel centre.

This changes the weight balance of the rod dramatically; we use it down here in South Africa.

The Hawaiians also do it, as do many tournament casters.

Use a rod bucket and it is a very comfortable way to fish

The thing is, other than weight balance, you are effectively chopping 6" off the total length: your 13' will feel like a 12'6".

Breakaway coasters.jpg

Fuji Plate Seat.jpg

Wasn't suggesting cutting the butt of a 13' HDX.......I'd never do that......just cutting the tourney butt of a 14' HDX.....yielding around 13'5".

3 hours ago, dcast said:

Wasn't suggesting cutting the butt of a 13' HDX.......I'd never do that......just cutting the tourney butt of a 14' HDX.....yielding around 13'5".

You don't think the butt is a little long on the regular hdx? Maybe I'm wrong I'll try it out for a few trips before I make the decision. Nick from breakaway said it was ok but sent me a video and apparently I'm not casting with my arms far apart enough to begin with. I just thought it seemed a little clumsy the way it is. the way I usually cast I don't leave my arms that far apart I've seen other people use a pendulum or off the ground cast without that long of a butt section but I'll give it a try before I do any modifications 

It would be easier and probably better to buy a 12' GDX if 12' for less than 6oz is what you are after

2 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

It would be easier and probably better to buy a 12' GDX if 12' for less than 6oz is what you are after

No it’s going to be my 8 and bait rod. It’s definitely a lot of rod though