Any Washine Machine Experts?

Rate this topic

sbcbmx112

Hi all,

This is a long shot but here goes:

I have an LG front load washing machine that is just over a year old.  Before you criticize the brand or anything it was the nag's choice; I had no say.  Having said that, just after its first birthday (aka when the warranty expired) it started having issues.  The drum will fill with water intermittently when not in use.  The problem happens so sporadically that it's very difficult to troubleshoot.  Sometimes in a few hours it will fill with lots of water, sometimes it will only fill with a small amount when not in use for 5-7 days, sometimes it will go for weeks without issue.  We had a tech out and he replaced the water inlet valves and the next day it was full of water again.  He came back and replaced the valves again and everything seemed fine until this week (it has been approx 6 weeks since the second replacement).  It was not in use for 5-7 days and filled with lots of water.  So far we've tried all of the typical fixes- drain the bottom hose and clean the drain filter, CLR the inlet valves, make sure the drain hose isn't pushed too far into the drain pipe, etc.

My next thought is it replace the control board as it once or twice has had an issue where it doesn't want to turn on when the power button is pressed but these cost roughly $200 and I'm not sure its worth my time and money if I'm not confident it will fix the problem.  Anyone here have any advice or thoughts?

Thanks!

Pull the power cord on the washer between regular wash schedules  and see if it fills up.  That will tell you if the control board is the culprit or a valve.  You should have an external pair of valves to turn off the water to the washer when not in use. I'd suggest getting in the habit of turning them on and off when washing and not washing, respectively.  Might save you a bundle especially if a hose develops a leak or ruptures.

Edited by rwalter7

CT

Is the water that accumulates clean or dirty? 

That will tell you right away if it's an inlet or drain issue. Dirty water would obviously come in from the drain. 

If it's clean water coming in, then it's most likely not the water valves being they have been replaced. The only thing it can be is the main control. It's possible it could be powering the valve enough to slightly open the valves. I've seen valves weep from 60VAC. They normally require at least 100VAC to open but lower voltage can partially open them. 

Even if the drain pipe is not too far down the stand pipe it can still siphon if there is a backup in that line. Not likely but possible.