Tog bait.

Rate this topic

DoorGunner

it can be very frustrating fishing with the bait stealing, the rig loss, and linking up with fish only to have them drag you into the rocks.  I successfully waited out 2 fish that eventually swam out.  We also pulled up 4 of our own rigs.  i think with a stiffer rod and a bit more practice I'll hook up more.  I was thinking about using long shanked J hooks... terrible idea? 

also, do these fish eat anything other than crabs?

Go figure. I've tried blue crabs twice recently and not one tog. I broke down and bought some green crabs yesterday and within 5 seconds of dropping the first green crab down I had a tog on. Same spot I tried blue crabs a week prior. The blue crabs did work great on big porgy, seabass, and triggers. Got a half bushel of greens to last me a while, so I'll stick to eating the blue crabs.

A local fly charter captain posted pictures of tog on fly's and others have been caught on small bait fish and clam on the beach, if they are there and they are hungry I think any crab will work. We have a strong population of fiddlers at our marina  and I know tog will eat them but I have no clue how they get to them on the marsh which floods on the moon tides . We catch tog at our dock in the fall they seem to use it as a staging location, you'll have a good bite and then nothing, with each wave the fish getting smaller.

17 hours ago, JahDW said:

it can be very frustrating fishing with the bait stealing, the rig loss, and linking up with fish only to have them drag you into the rocks.  I successfully waited out 2 fish that eventually swam out.  We also pulled up 4 of our own rigs.  i think with a stiffer rod and a bit more practice I'll hook up more.  I was thinking about using long shanked J hooks... terrible idea? 

Whenever I go togging I always make sure to have some salted clam as back up bait.  It stays on the hook better than crabs on multiple bites and missed hook sets .  The only problem I encounter with clam is everything else trying to eat it before the tog especially those little pain in the ass bergals.  I've heard sandworms also work but I've never tried using them for togs. 

19 hours ago, JahDW said:

3/0 O'Shaughnessy hooks last time i went togging from some rocks worked fine for me. I used  a basic rig with a 3 way swivel. about 15"-18" of 10lb for the sinker, and about 8" of 30# for the leader. Lighter line on the sinker helps break it off easier if they try to snag you up.