"Vietnam"

Rate this topic

BrianBM

Maybe not the best first episode that could be done.  But it sent shivers up and down my spine.  An absolute set of the creeps.  Are we doomed by some American national karma to buy into wars that we need not fight, and then have them run by Presidents who are not competent to do so?

On occasion, I remember another graduate of Northport HS, class of 1967, who died there. There's a Vietnam Memorial in Suffolk where I've gone a few times to pray for him, even though I can't now recall his name or face anymore.  He was someone I knew, that's all I remember, and he didn't come back.

David Koch also spent money on Burns' "The Civil War."  If I ever meet him, I'll have to thank him for that. 

We have some vets here who know a lot of history.  Comments on the show?

Had to start somewhere so they picked the French loosing their final battle before America got involved. Actually it started way before the French. There was a massive concrete bunker built along route 1 that ran the length of the entire country. Sounds like a big highway but it was just a two lane road. There was a small intersection that ran into one of Vietnam's deep water ports called Can Ranh Bay and the bunker sat right there. Found out later that it had been built during the Second World War by the Japanese. Up until 1975 it seems like there were always some country trying to take Vietnam and it never worked out. Tonight's episode looks a little more interesting as America officially gets involved.  

Hard to say what the French thought.  There was a great deal of French pride invested in their colonies, certainly. Pulling out of Algeria, then considered a part of metropolitan France, caused a military mutiny; Foreign Legion paratroops dropping on Paris in support of the attempt at a coup.

Strange also to think that Cam Ranh Bay is now available to visiting American warships, in a Communist Vietnam, as a friendly port of call.  They may even be buyers of American weapons in the near future. Now, it's China that is the foreign power that causes concern in Hanoi.

Early Years of VN was Robert McNamara folly, years later these days/years came back to Haunt him so the articles go,

What many will find interesting is the Tunnels of Cu Chi, many Americans though we was Fighting a Half Naked  savage with a single shot Rifle, sadly such was not the case as N VN Army was well trained and fierce fighters

Series shoud give some real good ideas of what US Troops were doing, not doing

just picked up a copy of Dereliction of duty by HR McMaster. Supposed to be a good read on the follies of the Vietnam war.

Missed seeing the start of this series but will be watching.

"I can still count tony romo's career playoff wins on one hand"
-Jason Pierre Paul

"Folks, I'm so white, during the riots I went out and bought a television."

-Bobby Hill

22 minutes ago, seadogface said:

Win the hearts and minds....

That's where US military strategy took a giant dook. And they've been stuck in that "mud" ever since.

"I can still count tony romo's career playoff wins on one hand"
-Jason Pierre Paul

"Folks, I'm so white, during the riots I went out and bought a television."

-Bobby Hill

22 hours ago, fishinambition said:

I like how they give different perspectives by interviewing people from all sides. Everyone thinks they're the good guys. Except the French. Pretty sure they knew that they themselves were scumbags.

They were the scumbags....unfortunately, we were the scumbags who financed their misadventure there after WWII, we rejected even meeting with Ho Chi Minh when he came to us for help, and then we stepped right into the French's shoes and failed to learn from their mistakes after they left in defeat.  

On 9/18/2017 at 4:55 AM, DoorGunner said:

Had to start somewhere so they picked the French loosing their final battle before America got involved. Actually it started way before the French. There was a massive concrete bunker built along route 1 that ran the length of the entire country. Sounds like a big highway but it was just a two lane road. There was a small intersection that ran into one of Vietnam's deep water ports called Can Ranh Bay and the bunker sat right there. Found out later that it had been built during the Second World War by the Japanese. Up until 1975 it seems like there were always some country trying to take Vietnam and it never worked out. Tonight's episode looks a little more interesting as America officially gets involved.  

I was in Cam Ranh for  short time, and the Navy was expanding their deep water docks and they had to raise and remove a Japanese warship that had been sunk there during WWII.  The traces of previous warfare were scattered all over that country.  

On 9/18/2017 at 4:55 AM, DoorGunner said: