unclebunker

New-fangled reelseats

15 posts in this topic

I've become, somehow, what we kids used to call an old-timer (known less poetically today as an old fart, according to my wife and daughter). Long-time hobbyist rod-builder. I've managed to keep up to some extent, but admit to an unhealthy degree of skepticism as to what's the latest and greatest.I'm not so old I can't fish,however, and after a few GREAT days in the big ditch, have decided to upgrade my SU 1326 honey lami to somethin' my arthritic shoulders will appreciate more. I'm up to speed on blanks, find K-guides too sexy to ignore, will try some of that fancy-lookin' Winn grip tape out, but I haven't up-graded my reelseats since Fuji invented graphite and came out with the DPS. This'll be a spinnin' rod, guys. So, whadda we like nowadays? And why? My thanks in advance for your suggestions.  Unk.

Aside from old faithful Fuji NPS or DPS seats, Alps makes a few comfort grip seats ( not metal) that may be an option depending what size your gonna use.  They are pretty looking and pretty pricey lol.    The rest of whats available in graphite (amtak, etc...)  isn't as nice as Fuji and aluminum seats on surf rods in the NE are dumb IMO.  My hands get cold enough without gripping a piece of aluminum. 

On 9/15/2017 at 1:57 PM, unclebunker said:

Thanks,Billy. Either great minds think alike, or--- you're an old fart too.

There is no need to reinvent teh wheel. TEh newer seats everyone is coming out with, I dislike them all, and a lot are not made in a size that will fit teh blanks, nor  hold teh reels you will be using. SOme of the Fuji seats don't hold  certain reels well either. Aluminum seats are extremely uncomfortable, teh nuts stick out  too far, they don't fit  well in yoru  hand, they are  metal.

Thanks, Billy. I agree on the aluminum for all of the above reasons plus the fact they seemed-to me- to loosen up and/or corrode. Just tryin' to dress it up a little.Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, TBush.  I ordered one of the alps seats I thought looked kinda sexy.Couldn't tell from the pictures whether it would work out for me. If not, I'll stick it on somethin' else, and NPS this one. I liked your loose reelseat fix from another thread.      wcitot.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:25 PM, Billy 40 said:

Either Fuji  DPS or NPS.

I know it's only available in smaller id's but do you like the tvs?   I have 3 sticks with them.....hands down my favorite fw spinning seat.

I was  the first  in the US to use/sell the TVS seats going back to the start of 2015. I hate  how  they feel in  my hand, as do several others. It is a personal  preference, wha tI like and hate  doesnt' matter to you - he  asked for out  personal opinions  nad  reasons  why,  I skipped teh second  part the  first time I asnwerred and  just elaborated. By no means  is wht I saythe last word on  it, quite  the contrary. But for me that's how it is.

PS> A guy posted teh carbon fiber handles in here a while back, I was sent a bunch for testing and by far these are the best  spining seats I ever used, or made for myself. I want  to stress tha  tI was  testing  them a nd thye are  not  avaialble for  purchase, and any positives or negatives about this seat is saved for teh  person  who aske dme to test them.

Fuji's new locknuts are working well for me. But with a DPSD size 20 I had to cut the hood nut down by about 1/2 the original length to accommodate the length of the reel foot. I prefer uplocking seats on my spinning rod but hated the hood nut always loosening.

My new favorite grips are Winn wrapped  over cork tape.

For Guides:

On 8/30/2017 at 1:13 PM, woodbutcher said:

My new favorite setup for 11 1/2 foot rods.

Seaguide XRG 25 (51.0 mm high) The only thing with comparable height is Fuji RV $$$$$$

XRG 16 (28 mm)

choker plus five runners  Alps  MXN 10 (15.09 mm)

I also tried the setup with MXN 12's (18.15) and couldn't notice any difference in casting distance or in noise so I went with the 10's. The single foot on all the guides pointed toward the reel.

I filed the groves off the tops of the Seaguide feet, otherwise I got big gaps in the wraps.

3 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

I had to cut the hood nut down by about 1/2 the original length to accommodate the length of the reel foot.

Sanding  the end of the grip down to the same OD as teh reel seat would have been a heck of a lot easier

4 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

Sanding  the end of the grip down to the same OD as teh reel seat would have been a heck of a lot easier...

...if you have a way to chuck the the rod in an appropriate lathe. If not still very easy. Take the nut with attached hood off the seat. Wrap a narrow band of tape around the nut as a cutting guide, a line to follow. I used a fine blade coping saw, quick clean up with a file, reinstall shortened nut along with the locking nut on the seat, epoxy seat to the blank in usual manner. Easy peasy, it took me longer to write this than it did to shorten the nut.

I Assume everyoen has a lathe,  and the seat was already installed ont eh rod. Or did you just cut the nut when it was already installed?

Posted (edited)

Before I installed the seat on the blank I checked to see if there would be enough thread length with both nuts on for me to get the reel foot in between the hoods. There wasn't. Maybe with a size 24 seat, i dunno.  

You'r right, cutting the nut after you fqued up and installed the seat without first checking for clearance woulda been a real PITA.

Edited by woodbutcher