Rod damage, Compromising or not

Rate this topic

Sandbar1

During a recent canal "combat fishing" trip this 11ft TFO received an unfortunate knock on the rocks. Damage is between the 3rd and forth guide from the tip. It appears to be mostly to the finish. Any chance this could have compromised the rod. I'd prefer not to worry about my rod when I'm fishing it.59bb249d46fca_IMG_03331.thumb.JPG.b95b5870c49da03786305048edff9e67.JPG

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

2 minutes ago, Sandbar1 said:

During a recent canal "combat fishing" trip this 11ft TFO received an unfortunate knock on the rocks. Damage is between the 3rd and forth guide from the tip. It appears to be mostly to the finish. Any chance this could have compromised the rod. I'd prefer not to worry about my rod when I'm fishing it.59bb249d46fca_IMG_03331.thumb.JPG.b95b5870c49da03786305048edff9e67.JPG

I don't know but this is the second blue rod in two months. I never in 68 years broke a rod casting. Both times casting 2 oz plugs - exploded- the warranty is way too expensive for a problem that seems systemic 

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

3 minutes ago, shark lobster said:

There is only one way to find out ! Fish it is all you can do!

That's the plan. Should put it to a serious test Saturday night.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

6 minutes ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

looks like the finish is scratched, should be good. Bring a spare with you next time out if you have one just in case

I always carry a spare. Normally I switch between the two depending on how I want to fish.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

18 minutes ago, mybosox3 said:

the warranty is way too expensive for a problem that seems systemic 

What?  How expensive is their warranty?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

1 minute ago, mybosox3 said:

Ship section to was $15 warranty cost in return $50 they changed $40 on shipping-  $105, this is the second one I'm at $210

The rod isn't worth that expense when I have no confidence in it!

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

23 minutes ago, mybosox3 said:

I don't know but this is the second blue rod in two months. I never in 68 years broke a rod casting. Both times casting 2 oz plugs - exploded- the warranty is way too expensive for a problem that seems systemic 

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

I have both the 10'6 and 11 ft. versions of this rod. Fished both hard all summer, almost every night with no problems. For me they seemed very solid. This problem was all operator error. That said considering how often I was out there this year I'm looking into upgrading this spring. Lami maybe or high end St. Croix?

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

Sandbars put a little hard as nails on the scratches , It will provide a little protection[two coats ] I see the construction of these rods to leave a little for discussion. I never had this as a problems with any Lami Glass glass or Graphite rod . If they incorporated the color in the material they use to make the rods , it might never ever be a problem at all.  Now who said that old guys will not help you young bucks?

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal