706On-a-Stick

Lamiglas 136-1MH Broken

5 posts in this topic

I can't believe I am saying this, but I snapped my telephone pole chunking 8+ bait. I'm extremely dumbfounded considering I have owned a few of these blanks, caught numerous large fish, and thrown upwards of 12+ bait with no issue. This one was the newest one, and she snapped. I have never sent a GSB back to lamiglas before. What can I expect?

In addition, I snapped her at a point where I can build a rod that would be 8'6"- 9' long. She snapped 2 feet or so up from the the butt. Is there any practical use for this rod now? Do people take a 136-1mh and hack 2 feet off the butt for any reason? I have heard of guys taking 1 foot off the butt for more manageability, but never any more for chunking in the surf.

You can build anything you care to. You'll be left with  roughly a 9-ft rod having a slower action and lighter weight capability. I'd contact Lamiglas first, however. Their rods don't come cheap,the company's been in business longer than any other blank manufacturer--(I think.   St. Croix might have preceded 'em.)--and I'd give em a chance to determine the right path. I'd be interested to know how ya make out. Unk.

if it broke at or below the reel seat you can fix it with a salvaged piece of blank slipped inside and epoxied, but see if Lami will replace it first.

Posted (edited)

Did the same with mine a few years back. Driving down the beach with it in the cooler rack. I put an extension in the butt where it broke off. Never had an issue and had a few good rays on it....By the time you pay shipping on that blank from Lamiglas you can go by the blank locally as Lamiglas is producing the blank again...

Edited by redhawk19