dreadlock

Mitchell 302 ???

21 posts in this topic

I have no idea either, did you strip it or just loose a screw dread if ya lost it id try and look for some on the auction site  it might be easier that way 

if its stripped try and just tap it out for a regular screw 

Just lost I believe. I went to a commercial hardware store near me. Huge screw asst.  He couldn't match it to any thing although seemed metric but odd thread pattern.  I guess I may have to pay on ebay.

On 9/18/2017 at 0:01 PM, dreadlock said:

Just lost I believe. I went to a commercial hardware store near me. Huge screw asst.  He couldn't match it to any thing although seemed metric but odd thread pattern.  I guess I may have to pay on ebay.

Hi Dreadlock, Handi2, and to the rest of you all. Just a quick swing by....

For $10 you probably have a beater. I'd go on Fleabay and buy a "parts-reel". Parts for these old reels get harder and harder to find, though they are still out there. The reel that was photographed was indeed a 402 (The slanted gearing pattern tells you it is) If your main gear has a vertical pattern it is a 302. Make sure your "Parts-Reel" matches the reel you need parts for. You should be able to pick up a parts-reel for $10-$20 on Fleabay. 

Once your parts reel arrives the best thing to do is simply strip both reels down to their individual housings. Clean all the parts for both reels. If certain parts are either really worn or broken they get tossed, rebuild your reel using the BEST parts from both reels, save the usable, not terribly worn, not broken parts for back ups. While you are at it you might as well strip off the old line from the spool, and rebuild the drag. I've bought reels on Fleabay that simply did not match the Mitchell drag diagram. 

Final note: I'm not sure if you have a 302 or a 303. A right handed 302 has the handle on the LEFT side, a  left handed 303 has the handle on the right side. I'm not sure if some left handed yo-yo did not try to "convert" a 302 --> 303 by inverting everything. In THEORY this could be done MAYBE since both the Main Gear and the Pinion Gear have that vertical pattern gearing. I've never tried it.  If the Right Side Plate says 302 on it, it probably is a  302 unless this was a total hack and mash-up. As to the screw.... If you are missing a side plate screw on the handle (left) side you can probably can rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul by taking one of the short screws from the right side plate. It should fit. 

If the screw that is Oscillation Guide Screw (Part # 81403) You need to make sure it threads in the right way as it has to first pass through one half the the axil, through the oscillation guide, and screws into the other side of the axil. When properly threaded the screw will be easy to tighten. If you are encountering any resistance STOP, try it from the other side. Hopefully if you are missing a side plate screw, the yo-yo did not try to replace a lost Oscillation Guide screw with one of the side plate screws. But who knows?? I bought one 302 on Fleabay that looked fine, and had been "cleaned"... only problem was it had been put back together incorrectly. I did not discover the problem until I totally stripped the reel down to its component parts and using a schematic rebuilt it from the ground up.

For $10 you probably got a pretty good deal, that said it sounds like it needs some TLC, and a complete strip down, cleaning, lube job, and rebuild are called for. If you are missing a side plate screw the LONG handle-side screws are Part # 81344 and the SHORT side-cover screws are Part # 81411 they can usually be found on Fleabay but the prices even used are extortionistic, which is why I suggest you buy a "Parts Reel". Cheaper in the long run and you have spare parts on hand if you need them.   

Any rate,

Best Fishes,

D'CatFish