dreadlock

Mitchell 302 ???

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One of the 302's I recently acquired was having some issues mainly the spool shaft had about 1/2 in. of play in it. The reel seemed to be functioning correctly except the line wind pattern was just a short up and down. Handi2 suggested broken pins on the ring gear and that was the issue.  after great info from here I got a new ring gear and a crosswind cam. After I replaced the ring gear I mounted  the whole unit back to body making sure the ring gear pins went in the holes and the pin from the inner gear went in the oscillating guide on the shaft. the handle would only turn so far before some thing jammed. Same in reverse.  I tried reinstalling the whole mechanism with the pin from the inner gear meeting the block with it at different points on the shaft. No change

1)  Is there a specific spot at which the inner gear needs to be put back to meet the block on the shaft??

I now put the old ring gear no pins back and there is no jamming but I notice when the inner gear gets to a certain spot the ring gear turns a bit. This possibly could be the reason it doesn't jam. I then installed the crosswind cam  which I believe can only go in one spot and when the oscillating guide reaches the top of the shaft it jams when I reverse and it gets to the bottom it jams. My observation is the pin in the crosswind cam is not moving across to the other side of the oscillating guide to bring it up. Also if the reel had jammed and some one forced it that could have accounted for the pins breaking off the original ring gear. Please any suggestions Of what I can try? If pics will help let me know. Thanks

2) what is the actual function of the inertia Brake

3) which screw does it attach to.

Edited by dreadlock
clarification of part name

First you dont need the ring gear anymore. Leave it out.  

The inertia brake goes on the non handle side in the upper right hand corner next to the rotor.

hiya dread here is a schematic of a 302  study it and see if you have anything outta place of missing  makes sure part 81404 -key is there and not shared

check that the 81415 has both 81356 clips and try taking the rotor and spool off when you check the travel

hope that helps some

GARCIA MITCHELL 302-303(1969).pdf

When you service or take apart these reels its not necessary to take the oscillation slider off the spool shaft. Only if its bad.

Wow dread  that is weird  did you buy that reel that way or did it just start doing that on it own  i watched that vid about 12 times and i do assume you have the crosswind in the maingear     ok try this take the maingear cover off and see if the handle goes all the way around if not  check the anti reverse stuff is ok 

:banghd:

Edited by Spats Maghee

Spats I bought the reel $ 10 it seemed to be working fine.  On further examination the line wind was only a short up and down NG.  the pins on the ring gear were broken easy fix. Got a new ring gear and crosswind cam. Both of them have about the same problem. The crosswind fit very snugly in the main gear don't see any way it could be in wrong and I am banging my head on the wall. Usually I am pretty good at fixing things.

I just removed the handle side and the handle goes around fine and the anti reverse mechanism seems to be working fine.  Now what

How's this for a twist. I put the main gear on the opposite side so now it's on my right hand and it works fine no binding except it cranks towards me or counter clockwise to the handle. Also I crank with my left hand now I'm more confused than before  

OK dread is this a 302 or a 303  

302's  are left hand crank 

303's are right hand crank

are you a righty or a lefty ??

you can flip the maingear from one side to the other but it won't work in the opposite side corectly as the gears are differn't 

in the original configuration the spool will go up and down in short travel  with the corsswind it goes like most modern reels do so there is no crosswinding of the line on the spool 

look at the schmeatic i posted and that shows how a 302 maingear plate is layed out also did you turn the spool clock wize or counter clock wize to take it off

counter clock is a 302 same for the drag nob 

id take it apart and go over every thing dont take the shaft etc out  you dont need to so far as i can see and reassemble it making sure EVERY thing including the that widdle bitty key 81-405 doesn't get lost

before you start go troll through  desertcatfish's post on here and look at the pics he has posted (Note ;i'm not sure think thats a 402 gear just a finer cut gear ) make sure your assembly looks the same 

good luck 

Edited by Spats Maghee

I can't believe that by sheer luck I solved the problem.  I went back and forth crank on the left NG  crank on the right works great.  I could see no difference.  Just for **** and giggles and pure frustration I disconnected the shaft  from the oscillation guide turned it 180 degrees and put the screw back in now on the opposite side. Seems the top of the screw was hitting the main gear. which was the click you hear in the video. You can't see the head of the screw in the video because it is on the bottom side and there for you can't see it hitting the main gear. This still doesn't explain why it was doing the same thing at the bottom of it's travel but it is working nice. I can stop banging my head on the wall now.

I would love to hear any ones thoughts on why turning the shaft 180 degrees worked?

One question do you prefer the crosswind or the planamatic line wind

It might not have been the shaft but having the screw in the right side of the shaft. The screw goes in the non handle side of the shaft. Not the handle side.

sometimes ya just gotta bang your head against the wall and walk away and then start over to find the problem 

I watched that vid of yours at least 12 times and never too notice to the screw head till you mentioned it  dread