Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Fattoush, it's for lunch.

11 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

You go the sumac? ;)

No sumac Steve. I have real stomach issues with it.

:laugh: (Not at your stomach issues, just at my post....)

Truth is, I had no idea what fattoush was until I looked it up, and frankly, other than the sumac, it is really nothing more than a glorified garden salad...... ;)

]

We use some sumac and zaatar. Maybe try using less.  Pretty potent.  It supposedly has a lot of medicinal uses, one is as a tea to treat stomach problems.  

I'd say more of a bread salad than garden salad. Been using a lot of bread in salads, baked pasta etc.  Still making 4 loaves every couple weeks and have leftover end.   One I like is kale Caesar with our kale and garlic and nice croutons from these sd boules

Jealous of the kale cause with the warfarin, I gotta watch it. They ain't gonna deny me my garden grown kale in turkey soup come late fall though...... ;)

It's back now too.  Got a great early harvest, then the bugs got it for the summer but coming on strong again.  I used to pull them when they looked like crap, big mistake 

I didn't know you could eat Sumac, always thought it was poison, guess there is a red sumac (Rhus glabra) you can eat and a white sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) that is more potently poisonous than Poison Oak & Ivy. Interesting. Be sure to pick the right one...

1 hour ago, Linesideslayer said:

I didn't know you could eat Sumac, always thought it was poison, guess there is a red sumac (Rhus glabra) you can eat and a white sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) that is more potently poisonous than Poison Oak & Ivy. Interesting. Be sure to pick the right one...

I'll bet it's a different sumac than the stuff crown locally. Whatever, it sure acts like poison when I eat it.  Years ago a Lebanese friend brought me some fresh baked pita from a Lebanese bakery that was dusted with sumac.  I ate some for lunch and thought I would end up in the ER.  Stomach was on fire.

Edited by bob_G

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'll bet it's a different sumac than the stuff crown locally. Whatever, it sure acts like poison when I eat it.  Years ago a Lebanese friend brought me some fresh baked pita from a Lebanese bakery that was dusted with sumac.  I ate some for lunch and thought I would end up in the ER.  Stomach was on fire.

It's not that different if at all different than local staghorn sumac.  Taught we could make "Indian lemonade" when I was a kid.  Tart little berries for sure. There are related species I read that are toxic but not deadly and eat no white berries as that's poison sumac.  For me it's tart like adding citric acid, but we use maybe a Tbsp in big pot of lamb tagine.