outAluck

Wilderness Systems Atak 140 - opions needed

13 posts in this topic

So my son is looking to get deeper into kayak fishing.  He has a decent 'yak now but wants a better performing one.  One that is more stable and able to handle the ocean a bit better.  He recently flipped losing my $800 Orvis setup.  So he is looking at the Wilderness Sys Atak 140, since I know nothing about kayaks I figured I would ask.  It seems like a lot of money for a Kayak.  So thoughts? are there alternatives?

Posted (edited)

Speaking as a paddler, that seems very expensive for a paddle boat. It looks designed for standing, which no one does on salt except maybe skinny back bays. It's also crazy heavy. For similar money you could get a very fast paddle boat like a Caribbean 14 that weighs 50#. What was it he flipped? Where is he fishing, and what is the budget? Many here will urge you to go with pedals, but half of active members of this forum paddle. Not knowing more, I'd advise getting one of the classic stable kayaks like a Tarpon or Prowler and not worry about getting a wet ass.

Personally, I think bringing expensive setups on a kayak is asking for trouble. Some do though.

Edited by gellfex

I am not sure of the name on the one he has today.  I know that it is 14 feet but that the weight limit is 300#'s which he gets close to with gear.  I don't want him spending this kind of money on something that isn't right for what he will be doing. 

Do you have a fish finder on yours?  was it setup for it?  or did  you engineer a solution?

48 minutes ago, outAluck said:

I don't want him spending this kind of money on something that isn't right for what he will be doing. 

Just looked up the ATAK 140...good lord it's a behemoth, and for close to 2k w/o the pedal drive??

For that money the new Hobie Compass should get a hard look, if he's buying new. 

No offense, but it's likely the reason your son flipped his kayak has more to do with his skill as a kayaker than the kayak he was in.

The Atak 140 is ridiculously heavy because it is so wide. That also makes it slow and a bear to paddle. But it has to be wide to make up for the high seat position, which destroys stability. So you end up with a kayak that is super heavy, tough to paddle and has only average stability. No thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't consider a paddle fishing kayak that was wider than 28", shorter than 13 feet, or weighed more than 65 pounds.    

Kross57, no offense taken.  Everyone is a beginner at some point and time.  I am not a fan of the Atak, it is heavy and very expensive.  In addition I agree with the seat configuration being very tall.  He is looking at used kayaks now to see what is out there and what will fit his needs.  The criteria is a minimum of 300 lb capacity, peddles, storage, and setup for electronics also must be 14+ feet. 

You can get a good used one probably. I'd go lighter as loading and packing it is the worst part of the day. Also I'd invest in some leashes to strap your gear down

The ATAK 140 was designed with largemouth bass fishing in mind.  Wilderness Systems intended salt water boat is the Thresher.

To me pedals are optional.  Hobies are optional too.  I have yet to meet the guy that hasn't had to trade out a Hobie hull due to failure, repair or replace pedal drives, etc.  I've had a paddle boat for years and haven't had to fix or replace anything.

I've had my Hobie 3 years now, and use it at least 2-3 times a week, April to June and October to December. No hull problems... yet. The mirage drive has needed repair, twice.

The Revo 13 seems to be the best all-around Hobie. As far as basic paddle boats, I'd look at the OK Prowler 13. Here are the Prowler specs:

• LENGTH: 13' 4" | 4.1 m
  • WIDTH: 28" | 71.1 cm
  • WEIGHT: 56 lbs | 25.4 kg
  • SEAT WIDTH: 17" | 43.2 cm
  • LEG LENGTH: 52" | 132.1 cm
  • BOW HATCH: 16.5" x 10" | 41.9 x 25.4 cm
  • MAX CAPACITY: 325 lbs | 147.4 kg
  • SUGGESTED RETAIL: $899.99 USD

Good luck to him!    

Edited by kross57

My first kayak was the ATAK 140.  I sold it for the next season at a loss for ~900 IIRC.  I went out with a guide who had a Hobie outback and I saw the obvious benefits for fishing and covering ground in a hobie.

I had my FF and battery in their console thing.  it was great for easily removing the device and battery.  The deck space was great but I never stood in it.

I saw other paddlers moving faster with less effort than me.  No flush mount rod holders were a PIA.  You can install them but hobies come with them molded.

With bigger chop the nose would drill into the waves instead of going over them.

As someone who was in a similar spot my key suggestion and notes would be:

hobie outback is around the same price.  It comes with a paddle and peddle drive.  ATAK doesn't come with a paddle which will run you more money

Im not a fan of the rail system on kayaks.  The rod holders would slip and move if you are trolling and get a hit.

The ATAK is flat bottomed for the most part, which hurts the tracking. and catches more water drift.

Both kayaks need a cart.

I used the mullet miller cart which was a C-Tug with modified wheels.   - I hate this thing.  It didn't work well with the atak or the Hobie

Hobie has a scupper cart, which is a gods send.

If he wasnts to paddle that's fine.  Plenty of members here choose to paddle instead of peddle.  The ATAK really limited the distance I could travel.