gellfex

Robert Field on youtube

12 posts in this topic

Just ran across this guy's channel, watched a couple of West Coast trips. Fun seeing differences and similarities there vs the NE, makes me want to find a kayak guide when I'm out there next. Seems to get around too. Anybody else watching him?

Oh yea! I like his channel a lot. Really good high quality footage. He is doing his "Field Trips" right now along the west coast. Plus you can tell he loves what he does, which makes it more enjoyable. Definitely a great channel

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

Just ran across this guy's channel, watched a couple of West Coast trips. Fun seeing differences and similarities there vs the NE, makes me want to find a kayak guide when I'm out there next. Seems to get around too. Anybody else watching him?

I know of a handful of guides if you or anyone else is ever out this way. Or just put you in touch with people to fish with if you don't want to spend the money

2 hours ago, ADTR14 said:

I know of a handful of guides if you or anyone else is ever out this way. Or just put you in touch with people to fish with if you don't want to spend the money

That would be awesome, though the latter would only work if they've got a boat to lend. I often spend the  holidays in the bay area, hopefully soon at Muir Beach, and up in the Medford OR area, but I fear that's not the optimal season.  Medford is pretty far from the water but would be worth it if I could hook up with either type. Last year I made inquiries and the only suggestion was surf perch.

Yea depending on time of year you were here, rockfishing may have been closed. This year it's open until Dec 31st. Depending on how picky you are with what you paddle/peddle, I could set you up with a Jackson most likely. Or refer you to a place to rent a kayak pretty cheaply. There's also a good community of kayak anglers around here that would have lots of people willing to help out. 

I'm not picky at all, but in all likelihood my opportunity to fish will come up north, where I can get away from the family more easily. Do you know anything about what goes on in Crescent City? Is there a kayak scene there at all in December? I'm sure I'd have to bring a drysuit.

I watch his channel its pretty great, the offshore sharking video where he flips is pretty insane. And one of the newer ones with the sheepshead was cool I'd love to do that someday, they look like huge tog.

Watched one in Panama last night. Tuna from a kayak looks amazing, but one hell of a trip getting there, 6 hrs from the airport. I wonder what they're doing with the excess fish they kept, they had what looked like 200# on just one day for dinner for the 8 boaters and presumably the staff. I'd guess the proprietor was selling it locally, but how much of a market can there be in the butt end of nowhere? Or does he have the facility to vacpac in dry ice for transport like in Alaska?

tuna.PNG.1368e0373ab354bf9c304fb79eca6dc3.PNG

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

I'm not picky at all, but in all likelihood my opportunity to fish will come up north, where I can get away from the family more easily. Do you know anything about what goes on in Crescent City? Is there a kayak scene there at all in December? I'm sure I'd have to bring a drysuit.

I'll send ya a pm with some info 

Gellfex.........I have fished in that same area of Panama 3 out of the past 4 years.......It would be nice if was "only" a 6 hour ride to the camp from the airport....but believe me.....we have never done it that quick.    Also he is a guide from a camp there which is "in town".......Not much of a town,  but plenty of people within a short distance where they can give away or sell the fish.......

The 3 times I was there.....we packed our gear on a boat and had a 90 minute boat ride to our camp.........as you can imagine,  much more remote,  but very comfortable.    We only kept the fish we needed for dinner with possibly one or two fish extra for the handful of local people that lived in walking distance.

It's an amazing part of the world to fish !!

Danny V

That sounds awesome Dan. I don't think it's in the cards for me till the kids are out of college!

I never saw his videos but they seem to be very entertaining. I subscribed....