gobigblue

loose reel seat

7 posts in this topic

recently picked up a mint st croix premier rod for cheap, issue is the reel seat spins over the blank.  all the cork is in great shape so im thinking about just drilling a couple holes on the seat side under each hood and injecting some epoxy.  theres a lot of play in the seat so im confident i can drill through without hitting the blank, question is should i shim it with something before shooting the epoxy in there and how?  also, where can i get a cheap disposable syringe?   i was looking at all the kids medicine droppers that come with tylenol cold and flu but the male end is pretty big.

You can try drillin an' fillin'; it's a viable approach. There's no way to shim that I've ever heard of, but the reel seat should be a fairly close fit. Shimming at the factory level is counter-productive. Work as much epoxy in there as possible;spin the reelseat to spread it,remember to line it up with the first guide,and see how it goes. MH sells syringes for this-- for too much money- but the junkies are the only people  I know of  who are smart enough to get 'em outside a medical facility. Good luck.

also, where can i get a cheap disposable syringe?

you can buy one of those needle things that blow air into worms to keep them off the bottom.  I think Lindy makes them.

another option would be to cut a "window" in the seat where the reel would sit.   Heat it up with a  heat gun and a razor knife will make quick work of it.  This will expose most of the arbors and failed glue.  Pack as much epoxy into the voids by spinning the seat.  once you got a bunch in there, replace the piece of plastic and tape it back in place. Once its cured the foot of the reel will cover it up.   
Good luck

Some good ideas thanks.  On second glance there isnt that much play that ill need to shim it.  Just gotta figure out a smart and clean way to get as much epoxy in there.  Seems like a combination of an old medicine something or other and a straw should work20170916_101715.thumb.jpg.770a99221285901035af697dd22d5436.jpg

deep fry turkey baster , clean with DNA an use it, comes with a large needle it worked for me ,

a couple holes under reel area , no one will see it,  if the seat is real loose an you can spin it that will work  better,  can cover all 360 deg, under the seat , do high spot & low spot  on the seat at the same time , don't re lie on one hole to do the job ,