mofish

How close is too close at the canal?

83 posts in this topic

Found my way to the service rd. 1/2 mi. or so above the Sagamore bridge last w/e around 5:00a.m. Had to walk quite a way to find a spot with a little room (maybe 150-160ft.) between guys; touched base with both of 'em to make sure they were o.k.with it,which they were. Good guys.Half-hour later,the Asian contingent arrived,complete with headlamps,noisy laughter,and high-fives. Two went left,three right, announced  "Fish here!",and started to insert themselves between us.I haven't fished the Canal in a year,and never when crowds were bad,but this seemed wrong, so I told 'em there wasn't enough room."No.no.no. We spread out." So they filled in,and the guy on the right crossed me on the first cast. He said,"I'm over you.", and I aked him if he was surprised at that. That was the end of his ability to speak English. Five minutes later,his jig is runnin'up my line again,so I cut it off,held it over the water,and threw it to (at?) him. He retreated to the far side of his friends,none of whom can any longer speak English,and crowded the guy to my right who'd originally let me in.He was far more patient than I'd been ,and eventually we tired and crawled back up the rip-rap and talked a little.(The fishing had been GREAT).I asked how he felt about what happened;he was a local and a little more relaxed about the whole thing. Next morning I decided to go with the flow. The crowds hadn't improved,but I (and the guys around me) had a better time.I guess circumstances hafta be allowed for. Anyhow, I might be a little more willing to share my rock in the future.Make of this what you will; I'm just thinkin' out loud. Unk.

4 hours ago, unclebunker said:

Found my way to the service rd. 1/2 mi. or so above the Sagamore bridge last w/e around 5:00a.m. Had to walk quite a way to find a spot with a little room (maybe 150-160ft.) between guys; touched base with both of 'em to make sure they were o.k.with it,which they were. Good guys.Half-hour later,the Asian contingent arrived,complete with headlamps,noisy laughter,and high-fives. Two went left,three right, announced  "Fish here!",and started to insert themselves between us.I haven't fished the Canal in a year,and never when crowds were bad,but this seemed wrong, so I told 'em there wasn't enough room."No.no.no. We spread out." So they filled in,and the guy on the right crossed me on the first cast. He said,"I'm over you.", and I aked him if he was surprised at that. That was the end of his ability to speak English. Five minutes later,his jig is runnin'up my line again,so I cut it off,held it over the water,and threw it to (at?) him. He retreated to the far side of his friends,none of whom can any longer speak English,and crowded the guy to my right who'd originally let me in.He was far more patient than I'd been ,and eventually we tired and crawled back up the rip-rap and talked a little.(The fishing had been GREAT).I asked how he felt about what happened;he was a local and a little more relaxed about the whole thing. Next morning I decided to go with the flow. The crowds hadn't improved,but I (and the guys around me) had a better time.I guess circumstances hafta be allowed for. Anyhow, I might be a little more willing to share my rock in the future.Make of this what you will; I'm just thinkin' out loud. Unk.

Frustrations noted.  I'm from South Hadley, just two miles away from the Holyoke Dam where Shad fishing is fantastic. So, I understand the need to wait one's turn when casting.

However, you may have pulled the trigger too soon.  Would it have been better to take a minute and explain the manner in which casting is done amongst people in close proximity to one another?

On 9/17/2017 at 11:50 AM, clambellies said:

When it's getting crowded and someone starts down the grass towards me I usually say "Oh, so you slept in this morning and I have to pay the price, right?  Snide, barbed comments usually send them elsewhere, unless it's full daylight and they see I'm only 5' 6".  

haha haha :theman:

When it's getting crowded and someone starts down the grass towards me I usually say "Oh, so you slept in this morning and I have to pay the price, right?  Snide, barbed comments usually send them elsewhere, unless it's full daylight and they see I'm only 5' 6".  

Sorry, I'm not asking anyone's permission to set up 150' away. I don't like being crowded any more than anyone else, but anyone who thinks 150' is too close should find a deserted beach all to himself. 

I wasn't very clear. 150' between 2 guys = 75' between guys with me in the middle. It should be alright with most,but like I said, I don't spend a lotta time up there.I try not to be a dick any more than necessary.