mofish

How close is too close at the canal?

83 posts in this topic

Made my way out there to jig last night. Noticed a couple of people but not too many. I decided to walk a good distance away from the other people jigging. Found a spot about a light post away from the nearest guy. After about 30 minutes of jigging, a guy came riding by with his bike. When he reached me he at which point said " can you set up any closer to me? ***hole". He rode off pretty fast before i can even reply. 

 

Now i normally don't fish the canal too often in the past but this year I've been trying to learn how to jig. Been up going up there this year since june once or twice a week in the middle of the night. Was I even too close to the nearest person next to me? Was he a jerk or am i a jerk? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I had about 100 ft. to myself on either side. Then a couple of guys watched me land a fish. It went down to 15 ft. real quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I personally enjoy sharing the shore with anyone, anytime, anywhere...as long as they are respectful of me.

But like Sandbar said... the spot stalkers that jump on your rock when you're unhooking a fish is  acceptable.

I will try to give them a lesson  ethics and politely let them know they can have my spot when I leave but to give me a  poles worth of room.

If that don't work I tie on a rusty old 10oz jighead direct to the braid and cross em every cast :rav:

Edited by TBYRD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think a light post space is fine, day or night. If they really had a problem, they wouldn't say something while riding away.

I take my kids to the pier, early like 6 am, they have picked up a lot, especially patience.

The night crews leaving and we are there before day crew. Some of the day crew will push right through anyone to get rail on end tides pushing away from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sandbar1 said:

Last night I had about 100 ft. to myself on either side. Then a couple of guys watched me land a fish. It went down to 15 ft. real quick.

If they can fish with a little respect and courtesy, no problem unless there is plenty of room to set up elsewhere.  

 

If theyre being a@@holes that's another story. I enjoy my company and only fish with my fishing buddies or alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mofish said:

Made my way out there to jig last night. Noticed a couple of people but not too many. I decided to walk a good distance away from the other people jigging. Found a spot about a light post away from the nearest guy. After about 30 minutes of jigging, a guy came riding by with his bike. When he reached me he at which point said " can you set up any closer to me? ***hole". He rode off pretty fast before i can even reply. 

 

Now i normally don't fish the canal too often in the past but this year I've been trying to learn how to jig. Been up going up there this year since june once or twice a week in the middle of the night. Was I even too close to the nearest person next to me? Was he a jerk or am i a jerk? 

Mofish any one who rides by on his bike to say a few words of nasty, I would ignore it as In my world he was not being friendly at all. If he was riding his bike he could not have been to close to you to begin with. Did you notice if he had his rods on the bike ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mofish said:

Made my way out there to jig last night. Noticed a couple of people but not too many. I decided to walk a good distance away from the other people jigging. Found a spot about a light post away from the nearest guy. After about 30 minutes of jigging, a guy came riding by with his bike. When he reached me he at which point said " can you set up any closer to me? ***hole". He rode off pretty fast before i can even reply. 

 

Now i normally don't fish the canal too often in the past but this year I've been trying to learn how to jig. Been up going up there this year since june once or twice a week in the middle of the night. Was I even too close to the nearest person next to me? Was he a jerk or am i a jerk? 

He was an idiot. Light poles are about a tenth of a mile apart. That's farther than the length of a football field. I would have either ignored him, or, if he kept at it, told him to go **** himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were in fact a light pole away, you were more than a respectful distance from him IMO. However, this year things have apparently changed (I never got the memo).  Even at night, all alone, I've had guys try and fish so close I could touch them with the end of my rod. I have no issues with fishing 100' away from someone (or vice versa) whoever was there first.  I'll be more than considerate, time my casts to coincide with his, and make sure we never conflict.  That said, some guys have issues with 100'. I had a guy the other night 3am fishing 100' to my left, and he was deliberately throwing 25' to my right on each cast defining his turf.  Sort of like a male dog marking his turf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mybosox3 said:

If they can fish with a little respect and courtesy, no problem unless there is plenty of room to set up elsewhere.  

 

If theyre being a@@holes that's another story. I enjoy my company and only fish with my fishing buddies or alone.

Its only when there is plenty of room and plenty of open, unfished water along the canal that this bothers me. Otherwise I am happy to fish next to other respectful individuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sandbar1 said:

Its only when there is plenty of room and plenty of open, unfished water along the canal that this bothers me. Otherwise I am happy to fish next to other respectful individuals.

Why only then? If there's no room, then there's no room. Move on.

 If you went to the trouble of getting up at 2am to be there, and Mr Sleepyhead shows up at 6am, coffee in hand, and now wants to squeeze into the action, that's too bad. Tell him to go somewhere else. Sometimes there's just no room for someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to answer, cause it really depends on the said person, what you are doing, and what they are doing, and whether they are up current or down current.

 

I have stood almost literally shoulder to shoulder with guys (many of them members here) jigging on a fast current and there were no issues, cause everyone knew what they were doing.

 

 I have had folks fairly close that were doing something different than I was, and we found ways to with the different fishing techniques, usually with just a look and a nod, never speaking to the person, much like I experienced yesterday morning.

 

On the other hand, some schmuck can be a pole and a half away and screw everyone up...............

 

So it really depends on the folks involved and the particular circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were too close to him you would have heard him cursing at you to begin with.  It took him riding up to you in order to be heard.  Don't let it get to you, my guess is he didn't catch anything and needed an excuse.  I fish the salmon river in NY and used to hear that stuff all the time especially when I was hooking up regularly on fish and they weren't.  When I'd leave my spot to land and release a fish I expected to get somewhere in the vicinity when I returned otherwise would have to pack up and drive to another location which stinks.  I often had to take the mile hike back to the car to relocate which is why I now take my kayak down river and fish in peace and quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bob_G said:

Why only then? If there's no room, then there's no room. Move on.

 If you went to the trouble of getting up at 2am to be there, and Mr Sleepyhead shows up at 6am, coffee in hand, and now wants to squeeze into the action, that's too bad. Tell him to go somewhere else. Sometimes there's just no room for someone else.

Exactly Bob! If there's room why try to jump me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was down current of him. I like stay down current of everyone. Just to try new things. I was around at different spots along the canal all afternoon but at sunset I decided to go back to the area I've been jigging all summer. If the guy would have asked me kindly to move farther down i would have. Even though i like to set up right under the light post. Just to show people passing by I'm right there and hopefully they move farther down or up current.

 

just wanted to know the unwriten rules of late night fishing at the canal. Even though all rules kind of get tossed out the window when fishing is hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple rule -if anyone get close enough that you have to modify your behavior then they are too close. 

Mugging is not unique to the canal ,have had it happen in Montauk, Jersey and  Hatteras. 

The other morning fishing  the canal there wasn't a lot of space between me and the guy down stream of me. But we both understood what each was doing and had no issues . Guy is watching us from the road. And as soon as I have a fish on he scrambles down the rocks and get ready to cast over my fish which was heading down current . A very stern " Don't cast over my fish " halted his cast.  I landed my best fish of the morning 42" and he then butted in again . Lets just say I let my jig drift down as far as possible and took my sweet old time reeling in which much delayed him casting each time . He didn't stay long....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.