The TideRunner

Hel Cat

12 posts in this topic

Anybody been fishing on the HelCat lately?  My wife had given my son and I two gift certificates and we wanted to use them this weekend while my boat is laid up. Had fished with them a few times, and I must say the experiences were not good ( I can give a laundry list of reasons ). But we got to use the certificates soon, they're already 2 years old.

Don't really feel like porgy fishing, would like to do some diamond jigging for blues. The HelCat never seems to post reports on the website of anywhere else for that matter. So of you've  been out with them lately let me know what they're fishing for.

They are pretty strictly fluke/porgy/seabass now.  Lately it has mostly been seabass/porgy, lots of them, they go out to montauk every trip,  I always have a good time with them. Last time I was at the race the sunbeam was there if you want to do some diamond jigging.

It's been many years since I went with them but they are good people too. Most party boat bad experiences seem be because of grumpy mates, which I don't mind, I'd be grumpy dealing with people 7 days a week out there too.

Friend of mine fished the sunbeam last weekend, and kicked butt. his 10 yo son won the pool. When they got tired of jgging for blues, they went for porgies and seasbass.

Yeah grumpy mates turned me off. Kind of ripped off my son when he was younger. He went to tip them for cleaning his fish, and the mate told him it was $25  son paid him instead of asking me. Emptied my son's wallet. I decided not to confront him, because I'm not sure if mates float. Yeah, I can be grumpy too. Don't think he'd do that to my son now. He'd snap his neck.

Overall feeling about the mates on the Helcat.  A##h@les. Acted that way the few times we went. Never went back. Wife thought she was doing a good thing getting gift certificates. I may try and sell them.

So the end of story is we chose not to go with them tomorrow because porgies and seabass are not worth getting aggravated over.

On a different note...we do fish the BlackHawk a couple times a year. Great group.Mates are just the opposite..

Now if only I can get the oilpan on my boat fixed.

Did he get 25 fish cleaned? Almost all boats charge a dollar per fish now, Blackhawk I think is even more. Everyone is tough on the internet, I think you should avoid all party boats in the future so no neck snapping occurs.

Not even close ...maybe 6 blues. They took advantage of a kid. No need to avoid party boats, like I said, I have a great time with the mates on the Blackhawk. And I tip well, I make sure I get each and every mate on board.

The only boat I've had issues with was the HelCat. Very condescending and rude. .Used to be a fun boat to go on 25-30 years ago when they headed out to Alligator Ledge, for the alligator blues.

Some years back I decided to take my son out on the Middllebank. He was maybe 8? Got to the dock, We were the only ones there. Capt looked at my son, and said to him...Let's go fishing.

Two mates, the skipper, my son, myself and my wife. Those mates were constantly hooking fish and giving my son the rod all day.. He's never forgotten that. Now he fishes every change he gets.

21years old,now soon to be commissioned 2 LT, then off to Ranger School. ( Combat Engineer ) When he's around. My truck is gone and so is the 14ft tin boat and fishing rods.

Mention Hel Cat, and his answer is no. .

We have our own 24 ft walkaround, but at least once a season we hit a party boat. I figure I can learn something. Learned how to rig and fish bucktails that way. Before season is done, I may have to try the Sunbeam.

Been thinking about trailering my boat up and fishing the race, but man, weekends are like a parking lot out there/

I've been going out with them for 2 years, never seen them ask for more than what the fish cleaning costs, no idea what it was like 13 years ago.  Communication is key, if you have questions or concerns, just ask them.

For sure The Race is a parking lot on the weekends, the fleet was pretty large Saturday the 2nd, didn't stop us from catching 20 fat blues in a couple hours though, we just try to stay out on the edge of everyone if possible.

Went on Hell Cat once. That was enough for me Mates were complete asshats and behaviour condoned by the captain. 

2 hours ago, CtJim said:

Went on Hell Cat once. That was enough for me Mates were complete asshats and behaviour condoned by the captain. 

Pretty much sums up my experience on that floating turd. Never again. 

Edited by Big Biscuit

I took my 31 year old daughter on the Blackhawk Monday. What a blast. They always have an extremely friendly and helpful crew. We started bottom fishing for porgies and sea bass. Once the tide started running we switched over to jigging for blues. She'd never fished and got a lot of personal attention from the crew - though it could be because she's awfully cute and fished in a pink skirt and leggings and was the only woman on the ship.   Party boat fishing can be a blast with a good crew. Lots of guys were complaining about indifferent treatment on other boats not named.