Papio hunter

DAIWA ISLA 4000H VS SHIMANO STELLA 6000 HG SWB CASTING DISTANCE

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

Has anyone had the experience of throwing these two reels and noticed which one casts better and farther?

I mainly use 10 pound mono and weights between 1.0 - 1.5 ounces on a 12 foot menpachi rod which is similar

to a salmon/steelhead type float rod.

I currently have the Isla 4000H and wondering if a similar size 6000HG  Stella would make a difference.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'd be surprised if there's a difference, and it isn't going to be much.  You'd do better by replacing the mono with braid. 

11 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

I'd be surprised if there's a difference, and it isn't going to be much.  You'd do better by replacing the mono with braid. 

To your point, I have a Stella 6000SWB and a Saltiga 4000H (which it's often said that an Isla is a Saltiga with less bells and whistles) and I find that they cast similar,,,although I also have to say that I don't use these reels on the same types of rods he's talking about, nor do I load them with similar line

Mempachi is a small inshore fish, said to be good eating. I infer that the rod's going to be on the soft side, another thing that limits distance.

Yes Brian, the rods are usually rated for 8 to 17 lb test line and rated to throw lead weights between 3/4 to 1.5 ounces.

Although it is used for menpachi, I usually target small Giant Trevally.

We use the longer, lighter rods to get as much distance as we can.

I actually use 14 foot poles with the same ratings above.

In Hawaii we call GT's under 10 pounds papio, which is the same as my user name.

I use grub tails and SP minnow lures mostly.

On the mainland., I believe they are called jacks

Have both reels and don't consider one better than the other distance wise. 

Noticed a little more distance with my Stella 6k than I do my Saltiga 4k, probably due to spool lip coating. Never bothered to field measure, just going off feel, because it is a non factor for how I fish 99% of time

Braid on a light rod sounds optimal, then.  

A question on pronunciation.  Is it puh-PEE-oh or PAY-pee-oh?  The first is what I heard in Hawai'i.  The second is what it looks like with the overscored A.