BrianBM

Currently preferred drum rigs.

83 posts in this topic

1-3”      100#   hook to first swivel 

~3’        100#   bite leader from first swivel

fish finder swivel over bite leader (or ff sliding adapter)

second swivel or double uni (if uni than 8mm bead)

~25’        50#    shock leader from second swivel to main line

shock leader to main line - Bimini twist, Bristol or double uni

The knot on the hook is the “knotless knot”.

One of the things I've been thinking about lately is the length of line that we put between the hook and the first swivel on our FF rigs. Just about everyone who is targeting Drum uses a very short length of heavy leader, generally between 1 - 3".

Traditionally, this is done to increase casting distance, cutting down on the helicopter effect which will defiantly decrease the distance of our casts.

Seems to me though, that many times, maybe most of the time, distance casting is not necessary. Actually, it's often counter productive. I understand there are some places, the Point in particular, where he who can cast the furthest catches the most. 

But for most areas, if you are on good structure, especially at high tide, the fish are within easy casting distance. 

So, if casting distance isn't critical, is a short, compact rig more of a hindrance than an asset? I don't know, but I would think that the more freely a bait drifted around the bottom, the more appealing it would be.

A 5 - 8 oz sinker can sometimes get buried in the sand pretty quickly. We've all cast out, spiked our rods and then just a couple minutes latter have gone to reel our rig in a couple feet and found it got sucked into the bottom.

Supposedly,  Drum feed primarily by scent and have no problem finding a bait that is tight to the bottom, heck they root clams and such out of the bottom so I think they'd have no problem finding a hunk of fresh mullet.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that they are also sight feeders, at least sometimes, and a freely drifting bait or at least one not anchored tightly in place would be more visually appealing. 

So, as I'm stuck here at work waiting on my chance to get down there, I've been tying up a bunch of rigs and on some of those rigs I've been making the leader between the hook and first swivel a good bit longer, in the 5 - 8" range. I figure any longer than that will be asking for tangles. We'll see.

Anyone else use longer leaders with success?     

I hand tie my leaders and they usually end up the same length you are talking 4-8 inch, i dont loose much distance,  my casts are  60 - 90 yards with bait, i use 2 Palomar knots but im looking at crimpers beauce tying and sinching down is a pain, anyone suggest a pair that works good, i only use 80 lb 

Posted (edited)

Baron, did you notice ready made leaders (premade) at stores?

They are all much longer than few inches. 

If distance and outcry from fellows near me aren't problem I will generally go with 10-12 inches. 

With 100# leader, I don't expect any line tangles.

Fishing away from the Point if I am going to the distance, I'm using reverse fish finder or  reverse cannonball. 

Edited by Mircopolo
Grammar

20 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I hand tie my leaders and they usually end up the same length you are talking 4-8 inch, i dont loose much distance,  my casts are  60 - 90 yards with bait, i use 2 Palomar knots but im looking at crimpers beauce tying and sinching down is a pain, anyone suggest a pair that works good, i only use 80 lb 

Booms Fishing Heavy-Duty Hand Crimper has Hardened Steel Jaws with 4 Crimping Positions and 2 Hardended Steel Side Cutter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M25PXH1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_ngreWthP8oGyy

They working fine - midrange price. 

The challenge is to find right ferrules (sleeves) for given line diameter, coz marking is in mm, numbers, pounds and everything in between.

For 100# line I am using 1.2 mm. 

Buy in bulk 100, 500 pcs from China. 

Just few bucks, free shipping. 

i like my first piece of mono (80#) to be longer than most, 6-8". yea it will spin a little on the cast, but im not overly concerned about it.

5 hours ago, Mircopolo said:

Booms Fishing Heavy-Duty Hand Crimper has Hardened Steel Jaws with 4 Crimping Positions and 2 Hardended Steel Side Cutter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M25PXH1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_ngreWthP8oGyy

They working fine - midrange price. 

The challenge is to find right ferrules (sleeves) for given line diameter, coz marking is in mm, numbers, pounds and everything in between.

For 100# line I am using 1.2 mm. 

Buy in bulk 100, 500 pcs from China. 

Just few bucks, free shipping. 

thanks I appreciate the information,  where do you buy the sleeves?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jim McFeeley said:

thanks I appreciate the information,  where do you buy the sleeves?

You welcome, I buy on major internet selling site.

We know the rules of this forum, right? :)

Look for double barrel crimping sleeves.

I am using only 100# leader so sleeve size for me is 1.2mm 

This is inside sleeve diameter. Line itself is just over 0.9mm in OD.

You are using 80# leaders, may try 1mm.

Just measure OD off your leader, sleeve must be a little bigger obviously.

13.5$ for 500 pcs. free shipping.

Edited by Mircopolo
Compliance with forum rules

I must admit in all my years fishing down in Hatteras, I never considered making my own rigs. I never really considered myself knowledgeable about serious drum fishing so I always simply relied on the shop for tackle. This thread has me encouraged for my Thanksgiving trip. I do have the standard whole finger mullet rigs that produced and a couple double circle hooks rigs off the wall. I suppose it is time to move my game to the next level.

16 hours ago, Retainer said:

I must admit in all my years fishing down in Hatteras, I never considered making my own rigs. I never really considered myself knowledgeable about serious drum fishing so I always simply relied on the shop for tackle. This thread has me encouraged for my Thanksgiving trip. I do have the standard whole finger mullet rigs that produced and a couple double circle hooks rigs off the wall. I suppose it is time to move my game to the next level.

Catching fish is great but catching fish on your own hand made rigs makes it even sweeter. Jump in!

7 mins ago, Hikes run said:

Catching fish is great but catching fish on your own hand made rigs makes it even sweeter. Jump in!

+1

Yeah I know, I tie my own striper rigs for catching bass in the back bays and rivers, and in the surf. I get great satisfaction knowing that I can rig something that works well and share with others too. Like I said, when I'm down there I typically use local rigs. I have to tell you, I caught some nice drum, mostly slots though, on cut finger mullet on a pompano double rig. I swear by it but no way would it handle these big boys. I have some double rigs tied with 10/0 Gami circles on a 2" leader for the surf here for bass. I see no reason why I can't make a modification as you guys explained here or possibly use the bass rig.

I'm just a little amazed at the amount of leader used. i would never anticipate using this amount of leader especially the pound test.

Very interesting, all.  

I saw very few people fishing with a "heaver," save in the washing machine at the head of Shelly Island, and I did NOT see any impressive distance casting.  Walking the beach and looking at tackle, I didn't see much that was high-end.  The local folks perhaps don't have the money for it, and they also know it may not be necessary.  Most people were fishing spinning tackle. I gave a lesson in casting with a conventional reel to a local gent who had been told by an unnamed casting champion that conventional tackle always yields better distance (it wasn't Ryan White, either).  [In the Era of Braid, I'm not sure that conventional reels actually yield better distance, or enough extra distance to matter, but that's another thread.]  And no one that I saw was fishing with more then eight ounces. 

Two further questions for the drum cognoscenti, on rods optimized for drum.  Byron drew an excellent distinction between an all-around bait rod and a power heaver.  Speaking only of the latter rod, how long a butt do you like?  And how long do you want the rod to be?

Of the rods I brought, I liked a Loomis 1448c the best. It's 12' long and rated for eight to fourteen ounces.  It was very nice with six ounces, as much as I found I needed to cast, but for loads from 10 oz or more, I would definitely want a longer butt.  IF you regularly fish a sinker and bait weight of 10-12 oz. and above, how long a butt would you want?  And how long would your ideal rod be?  .... I'm mulling over having the butt on the 1448c extended.