BrianBM

Currently preferred drum rigs.

83 posts in this topic

good point on the grapple sinkers.  i am a huge fan of the "Hatteras Hurricane" style and to be honest, if an 8oz hurricane wont work, im going home.

really, the shape of the hurricane works quite well and will often let me use 1oz less and still hold. i like this as it lets me use my 9' OM with 2oz for little fish out front.

All advice is appreciated and is being studied closely.  Bought crimpers today, and crimps for 80 and 150 lb. stuff (I found I had some Jinkai 150 in the basement, I have no idea when or why I bought it.)  Drum, I gather, are not leader shy, one way or the other.  

Hanlon, what's the ICK to which you refer in an earlier post? 

Thinking about a sinker rolling in current, and having to follow it .... I can see a reasonable case for a three-way swivel there, to avoid tangles.  

There is a West Coast arrangement, used by salmon trollers who fish cut herring behind dodgers, that puts three swivels on the thickest split ring you can pry open (to get the swivels installed.)  An "Abe 'n Al" rig?  I'll fish one locally in a channel, on the outgoing, to see how that works. 

Aww come on SJ, you know it doesn't get fun until 10's are rolling!  Seriously though, if 8 or 10oz is needed to hold ...the current is primo, and Drum like current.  If 10 won't hold or at least drift slowly, I'm packing it in.  Have thrown 12's one time ...and that was the last time.

In the relatively few years I have been drum fishing I have only had to throw 12s once. That was during a late night session on North Beach late October last year. 12s were rolling slowly in the south to north sweep but I went 2 for 2 on Drum that night. It felt like my arm would fall off but based on that one experience, if I have to throw 12s, so be it. 

ICK = Improved Clinch Knot

this is what I use to tie my 80# bite leader to my swivel. ...with a snell on the other end holding either s 7/0 Gami or 10/0 Owner

All this reading has me getting excited for my first ever trip in Oct. I can't wait to get out on the point elbow to elbow catching drum with everyone. Sanjuan gave my some great advice this spring and I now make my rigs similar to his. What is every ones thought with shelly island this oct? Will the fish swim through close to the point or will they be on the other side of the new island? Anyways here's a pic of the cape cod canal if anyone was ever curious what it's like fishing up here in mass. Weekend warriors with no respect for others.

Screenshot_20170827-083219.png

Brian - there is some good advice already in the thread but I tie my rigs just a Sanjuan.  I prefer to crimp to swivel and snell unless I am using Gami Big Eyes ($$$).  Mustad 39954bln in 10/0 or the Big Eyes also in 10/0. I like the owner SSW hooks as well but I prefer to use them as a "flea" hook with the pronounced "belly" coming off the shank they hold 3 jumbos better than other hooks imho. 

I vary snell lengths from 1-6" with the vast majority filling in the 1-3" range.  I equate it to club selection in golf with the shortest leaders being my woods and 3-6" being long irons when I want more movement of the bait at the sacrifice of max distance.  These are baits I place inside the outer bar or in the trough with multiple rods at staggered distances (not for point proper). 

Funny you you should mention buying a crimper. I had a nice Jinkai crimper that somehow disappeared.  Just bought a penn crimper yesterday because I came across a bargain. Best of luck to you. 

so for drum fishing hatteras point.......I use one to 2 rigs tried and true with many citations......

My number one is the cannonball rig, it gives you increased distance due to a smaller package flying through the air. 

..............my 60# shock leader crimped to a swivel then an 18" section of 60# that is crimped, a bead, a snap swivel w your wieght (6-8 oz), a bead, and then snelled to a 8/0 hook.  I have experimented with a lot of rigs and that is the best i have found.   Like I have said, many citation drum have been caught on it.  The only problem if a shark bites you off, you loose the hook, sinker and all. 

My number two is the fish finder rig.........you lose distance over the cannon ball because it will helicopter in the air.....if the sharks are present this is my rig.

........60# shock leader down to a bead, a snap swivel with your weight, then a bead, then crimped to the swivel.....then crimp a 2 inch section of 80# snelled to an 8/0 hook..  I love crimping, its fast and easy, and I fish 6 weeks a year in hatteras and have never had one give out.  I use this rig when the sharks move in because I won't lose my sinker with this rig, whereas the cannonball you will. 

14 hours ago, Richsandwich said:

All this reading has me getting excited for my first ever trip in Oct. I can't wait to get out on the point elbow to elbow catching drum with everyone. Sanjuan gave my some great advice this spring and I now make my rigs similar to his. What is every ones thought with shelly island this oct? Will the fish swim through close to the point or will they be on the other side of the new island? Anyways here's a pic of the cape cod canal if anyone was ever curious what it's like fishing up here in mass. Weekend warriors with no respect for others.

Screenshot_20170827-083219.png

this isnt anything to fishing the point at the height of the bite, granted we are on sand and not rocks.......

On 9/10/2017 at 0:49 AM, CDubbs said:

If your gonna crimp the swivel, why not loop and crimp at the hook also ? Skipping the Snell.

I got lazy one year and crimped all my fish finders to the hooks and still caught fish.   Although I think that a snell seats the hook alittle better, neadless to say I snell all my hooks......but i can a test that a crimp will work just fine as i got a 48" a few years ago with it.

1467360_364381287066203_6436221248564251675_n1.jpg

6 hours ago, powerburn2003 said:

this isnt anything to fishing the point at the height of the bite, granted we are on sand and not rocks.......

This goes on for 7 miles straight both sides of the canal. Well over 1000 people fishing and more than half of them with the Wal-Mart combos. No regard for the person 15ft next to them. Wicked annoying but part of the game. 40inch fish cast after cast for hours. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Richsandwich said:

This goes on for 7 miles straight both sides of the canal. Well over 1000 people fishing and more than half of them with the Wal-Mart combos. No regard for the person 15ft next to them. Wicked annoying but part of the game. 40inch fish cast after cast for hours. 

actually......there would be no regard for the "40inch fish cast after cast for hours".....those annoying 1000  people that you speak of are killing 99% of the stripers that are being caught.

and as your avatar suggests, you are on the same team.

the big ones are the breeders with the good genes....you want them to live and die a natural death.

eat  yourself a 28 inch fish every once in awhile.

if your state regulated the slaughter of the breeders of that species then i guarantee you that there would only be a few fishermen on those rocks instead of the dozens in the line you see in that pic.

the big  red drum that  are being caught and released  in nc are  consistently at larger sizes since the slot size popped up.

20 yrs ago a 45 inch fish was a big deal....now we catch 50's all the time.

try not killing EVERY striper for 15 yrs or so and watch the sizes and the numbers jump for your kids.

and lets talk drum rigs....

20170530_195854.jpg

Edited by sanjuanworm