BrianBM

Currently preferred drum rigs.

49 posts in this topic

I've been looking through a couple of books from my basement on surf and shore fishing in the Carolinas, one of which is old enough to predate GSP line entirely, the other of which is more current.

Since I'm now coming down in October instead of this September, I want to test the authors' various opinions against the collective opinion of this Forum.

1.  Circle hooks, 6/0 through 9/0.  Yea or nay?

2.  Fishfinder rigs, yea or nay?  

3.  Clipped down rigs to prevent the bait from spinning madly during the cast, yea or nay?

4.  60 lb. leader material sufficient for the hook snells and whatever other leader you might design? These aren't toothy fish, but could a shark could still come by in late October? 

1. I use circle hooks, as do most all of the people I fish with. Size 5/0 to 10/0

2. Kind of a 50-50 mix of fishfinder (sliding weight) and fixed weight.

3. Because most rigs are tied very short ( less than 6") between hook and weight, there is no need to clip down.

4. 60 lb. is sufficient, but I use 80-100 lb. And yes, there are sharks around pretty much all year.

Disclaimer: The above is an opinion base answer and by no way the only way to do it.

BrianBM-

this past August i had success with a 7/0 Gami circle on a "medium length" 8-9 inch fish finder tied with 80 pound mono and did not use a clip. i have a few tied with 10/0 Owner circles, but as the 7/0s were working i didnt trie the larger.

being a fan of braid i had the reel (Slammer II 5500) spooled with 20# 832 (i use it out front too, hence the lighter line. had i an extra spool i would have gone with 40#) tied to a 50# berkley big game shock leader tied to a 200# swivel terminated fish finder. i also place a small bead between the sliding sinker and the swivel knot to protect it during the cast.

tight lines

Posted (edited)

10/0 mustad demon perfect circle

100lb mono for the snell...

no clip..

fishfinder is a must..

3 ft 100lb bite leader...

25ft 50lb shock leader..

20lb pro spec chrome

20170514_113638.jpg

Edited by sanjuanworm

Posted (edited)

Mine is pretty similar to Sanjuans...

I use Owner SSW 10/0 snelled to 2" of 80lb mono to a swivel that is tied to 36" - 40" of 80lb mono, with a sinker on and a swivel on the other end. The whole rig is somewhere around  3 - 4 feet long, they get rolled up and placed individually in a small ziplock bag, makes re-rigging much easier.

The rig gets tied to a 60lb shock leader that's twice the length of the rod plus 4 feet.. I use 17lb main line..    

100_1271.JPG

100_1272.JPG

Edited by ByronPA

sanjuanworm-

i notice that you snell your hooks and crimp your swivel...  curious as to why?  i use an ICK on the swivel end.  at home i can run a screw through the swivel and into my work bench allowing me to pull on the hook and really cinch down the knots.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

sanjuanworm-

i notice that you snell your hooks and crimp your swivel...  curious as to why?  i use an ICK on the swivel end.  at home i can run a screw through the swivel and into my work bench allowing me to pull on the hook and really cinch down the knots.

no real reason other than bait presentation under water ....in my mind the rig swims better with the loop at the crimp than it would with a knot....may not be true but it seems like it.

Edited by sanjuanworm

Thank you all.  I've been looking for an excuse to buy a good crimper, this will do fine.  I think, tentatively, that I'll crimp both ends of the snell.  

Somewhere in the cellar I think there's a widget, probably a Du-Bro, for snelling hooks on heavy leader.  

I use the Hatteras Rig as shown in the pic. I change up a couple of the knots though. No-name for the shock to double 20# main line, nail knot for hook leader to swivel and 3 turn Uni for shock leader to swivel. I really like the crimps on sanjuan's hook leader, though. I might just have to pony up and get a good pair of crimpers.

One things for sure, I'd look VERY closely at what sanjuan does. He's been known to catch a few fish. :theman:

24edefa0fd46f2131ccfaac797557275.jpg

No shock or bite leader here or crimping. Like to keep it as simple as possible and maximize my distance on the cast. With that being said, I like sanjuanworm's crimping which makes a lot of sense in bait presentation and will be giving that a shot when I go to Ocracoke in October. Yes you will encounter toothy sharks and some big rays as well so make sure you are constantly checking your line for any weaknesses.    

What's the going rate for a good set of crimpers?  I don't do enough rig making to justify a bench unit, but high-end hand crimpers will doubtless be expensive enough. 

Cannonball rig......especially if using spinning gear......used a great deal at Hatteras and was invented by a leading big drum fisherman on OBX.....I like 2-2.5' leader and snelled hook.....you'll see different variations if googled.