BrianBM

Now it's an October vacation in North Carolina

24 posts in this topic

black drum are likely too.  There's a slot for them as well.  Headed down in 10 days myself.

be sure to pick up an apple ugly at the orange blossom bakery in buxton while there.........would be a sin no to.

Forgot to mention food. Bring food or go to Food Lion in Avon unless you have money leaking from every pore. Eating out can get expensive here. (I'm in Frisco right now). A couple times eating out is fine but it can add up fast if you can't cook or make yourself something.    

There some nice places to eat with good food and most have menus online.

I was in Hatteras Village for my annual trip, from Oct 7 to the 14th. Beautiful weather, breezy though. Only had finger mullet Sunday after I arrived. Rest of week no finger mullet anywhere. Fishing was brutal in front of the house. Tried Ramp 55 way down, but with no finger mullet, well it sucked. I wasn't about to buy frozen but in retrospect I should have.

This was the second year in a row when the fishing sucked for me after a storm went thru the week before. Last year we went late October the week after Matthew hit. The finger mullet were gone. Just like this year. 

I made it offshore on Hoopers boat, Hatteras Fever II and we only managed 2 30 lb class wahoo, a football Blackfin tuna, one Mahi lost at the boat and a bonito. I checked the docks on a regular basis and the offshore fishing was clearly off the mark.

seems like the 'canes go by and the mullet evacuate. I hope next time is better, and we may be going for Thanksgiving.

5 hours ago, Retainer said:

I was in Hatteras Village for my annual trip, from Oct 7 to the 14th. Beautiful weather, breezy though. Only had finger mullet Sunday after I arrived. Rest of week no finger mullet anywhere. Fishing was brutal in front of the house. Tried Ramp 55 way down, but with no finger mullet, well it sucked. I wasn't about to buy frozen but in retrospect I should have.

This was the second year in a row when the fishing sucked for me after a storm went thru the week before. Last year we went late October the week after Matthew hit. The finger mullet were gone. Just like this year. 

I made it offshore on Hoopers boat, Hatteras Fever II and we only managed 2 30 lb class wahoo, a football Blackfin tuna, one Mahi lost at the boat and a bonito. I checked the docks on a regular basis and the offshore fishing was clearly off the mark.

seems like the 'canes go by and the mullet evacuate. I hope next time is better, and we may be going for Thanksgiving.

there has been no shortage of mullet to be found back in the creeks....

and frozen always works in a pinch

Well I'm a little lazy when it comes to bait. I'm usually hitting up the Roost or rod n gun first thing in the morning and was told there were no mullet around. I would fully expect the tackle shop to stock with bait to sell to me.  I'm not about to hunting for bait, I have little time to waste since I also play entertainment director for my 3 kids. BUT if I were down on the "guys" trip, sure we would burn some time throwing the net.

Just caught a dozen with the net in a secret back creek in Frisco this afternoon, RDT just had 380 pounds delivered earlier this afternoon too. They've been selling the hell out of them with this tournament but there's still plenty around. 

RDT was flat out of finger mullet when I was there, and so were the other shops. Frisco tackle had some fresh peanut bunker, I suppose I could have picked up some, but it doesn't stay on a drum ring long before slicing its way off. Point is, there may be bait now since it has been a few weeks since the storms went by, but there were none to be bought when I was there. 

This is good because I am going back down for Thanksgiving week.