BrianBM

Now it's an October vacation in North Carolina

24 posts in this topic

My bride decided that she'd rather not take the chance of heading south to Hatteras this coming week, and meeting the remnants of Irma going north.  She's right, since she wants to walk the beach looking for shells and beachglass, and September was too early (I learn here) for red drum anyhow.  So, now we'll be in Buxton 10/23 - 10/30. Also, a nagging leg injury I'm working on just might finish healing by then, so it's all good.

Update me a bit.  Anything I need to do for October that I wouldn't need to do for September?  I'll still have my heaver, my surf top, and so on.  Three other fish are of interest.  Will Spanish mackerel still be around?  And what about cobia - any chance of cobia in the October surf?  Finally, what of little tunny in the surf?  

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Anything I need to do for October that I wouldn't need to do for September?  I'll still have my heaver, my surf top, and so on.  Three other fish are of interest.  Will Spanish mackerel still be around?  And what about cobia - any chance of cobia in the October surf?  Finally, what of little tunny in the surf?  

Basically, the answer to all of this is no..

End of October is generally going to be better fishing than what you could expect for next week. But, most of the summer fish will be gone, unless it stays unseasonably warm, which it could.

Mostly you'll be fishing for Drum, and there should be a mix of all sizes around. There'll also be blues in the 2-3lb range and some flounder. Of course, anything is possible, but mostly it'll be Drum.. 

Edited by ByronPA

Fishing gets better with colder water. Squirrels are pretty active in my yard. I think it's gonna be a cold winter.

Cobia are more memorial day. But you may get lucky.

Big seamullet and spot, all sizes of drum, blues and flounder.  Spanish can still be around then if the water stays warm.  A couple years ago, it was still 70-72 on Halloween.  Albies are also a definite possibility. 

Anybody remember when the big Crevalle Jack schools would show up late October?  Never did catch one but saw guys land them on big pencils and spoons. 

spanish mackeral.....they gone, cobia...they gone, little tunny...maybe.  The best bet in last weeks of Oct of drum of course, puppies, yearlings, and bull drum, ,sea mullet, flounder and of course bluefish.  Ill see you there, Ill be there for them big girls......40+ drum.  Def bring your heaver and metal rod. 

I'll do that very thing. I wouldn't even mind bringing a FoodSaver vacuum freezer bagger.  The drum will go back, but Spanish mackerel might get kept. 

Oct is even better, its the time I go every year, except this year due to the arrival of new grandchild. I won't get down until November. My experience down there is bait and more bait. There is very little plugging except for light stuff when fishing for trout or spanish.

I fish three poles, one for Reds, one for dinner (sea mullet, flounder etc.) and one with a tin in case something pops up. Bait is mostly cut bait (mullet), but I have had good luck with squid, actually my largest Red was on a whole squid.  Good luck and enjoy.

You rebooked for a good week.  The NC Beach Buggy Assn Drum tournament is the later part of that week.  Get the ORV permit and you can cover a lot of beach fishing and she can look for shells in several different places.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:15 PM, BrianBM said:

My bride decided that she'd rather not take the chance of heading south to Hatteras this coming week, and meeting the remnants of Irma going north.  She's right, since she wants to walk the beach looking for shells and beachglass, and September was too early (I learn here) for red drum anyhow.  So, now we'll be in Buxton 10/23 - 10/30. Also, a nagging leg injury I'm working on just might finish healing by then, so it's all good.

Update me a bit.  Anything I need to do for October that I wouldn't need to do for September?  I'll still have my heaver, my surf top, and so on.  Three other fish are of interest.  Will Spanish mackerel still be around?  And what about cobia - any chance of cobia in the October surf?  Finally, what of little tunny in the surf?  

You will be there for the outstanding speckled trout surf run. Fish north side of piers or structure, 4" soft plastics, light line, light rod. 

Been going to Hatteras for 25+ years either the second or third week of October. Species vary according to the fish gods, red drum are pretty much a given but could be scarce , sea mullet are plentiful,always bluefish around, flounder in surf is very doable,pompano are possible,have seen big cobia some years, was in a giant jack blitz twice, had Spanish mackerel a few years and even stripers a few times.  Weather could be from short pants and t-shirt to waders and jacket, bring both. We leave on the 8th for our first week there. Good luck and have fun.