Kphresh

Modified and Loaded factory swimmers

40 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I've read this with great interest, and it will be one of my winter projects for sure.

On to a related topic:  I recently loaded a CC pencil with shot and it got me thinking about why we couldn't apply your approach to the CC pencils, since the source issues seem to be the same.

Thoughts?

Absolutely you could do this to a CC pencil. I am not familiar with their construction as I don't own any, but I believe it would be similar enough that yes you could through-wire one with little difficulty. Doing this to a pencil will allow you to do something like add more tail weight to make it cast farther and straighter in a breeze, as well as making it sit different in the water to change the action any way you desire. 

To keep the shot or bb's where you want it just use a magnet externally while the foam sets and then you can remove it. Your own creativity is the limit to this method. If you want to modify a lure you have confidence in I say go for it!

Kphresh, this is the single best mod I have seen to a plug on this forum, and I have seen thousands. Please provide more details about where you got all of the supplies. I am going to do this on poppers and swimmers (and load them all) just for the CCC.

20 minutes ago, xjclint said:

Kphresh, this is the single best mod I have seen to a plug on this forum, and I have seen thousands. Please provide more details about where you got all of the supplies. I am going to do this on poppers and swimmers (and load them all) just for the CCC.

Thanks clint, I can't take all the credit since this has been done before but I am happy to pass along the knowledge so others may try as well. 

Here is what I can tell you for sure: 

Grommets - 5/32 sold at any craft store or online

Swivels - size 4 Spro swivels (130lb ones) they need to fit in the inner diameter of the grommet, it takes a little push to get the eylet through

Through-wire - purchased at 1 of 3 surf expos last winter but also available online at (we don't promote or discuss them here), they have a great selection

Nose/Tail grommets - also purchased from (we don't promote or discuss them here), they are called nose grommets but I use for both in this application

Drill bits - 5/32 bit approx. 12in long for through wiring and another to match OD of grommets for belly and filling with Great stuff foam

Filler - Great stuff foam in a can

I will try and find the original guide to making these and link it here if I can. It is much more thorough.

Thanks for the sourcing info.  Can you please provide the size/dimensions of the nose/tail grommets?  There's a shop in Wareham with a large selection of plug-building supplies, so with the size info I might be able to buy them there.

Many thanks.

I do love the idea of two slightly smaller belly trebles on the 7" Mambo body and a tag for the tail. And the swivels are a nice addition as well :th:

TimS

Just now, xjclint said:

What is the weight difference once you add foam?

I can't say without measuring, but it does add a bit of weight. It isn't enough alone to add much casting distance, so if you are looking for instance to get clear across the CCC you will definitely need to weight and balance it. This will affect the swim of the lure but you will be able to figure out what works best for your particular application through a little trial and error. 

My advice would be to find a cheap source of your plug (maybe a surf show selling used older plugs) and play with those a bit until you have what you like. Who knows, maybe you get it first try and then have a whole bunch of killer plugs on your hands?! Additionally, the benefit of modifying your older gear is you can re-paint them too, making a totally new custom lure to add to your arsenal.