Kphresh

Modified and Loaded factory swimmers

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to post something a friend and I got into over the weekend. Through-wiring and weighting factory swimmers like Redfins, Mambo-minnows, old Top Guns, Bombers, etc...

This is something I tried in the past  but didn't have the right materials. This time, with the correct tools, I think they came out really nice. My friends source makes the loaded Redfins based off the method put up on I think another site a while ago, and he knew Ron who used to make them back in the day. 

Anyway... Here are my finished 2 unloaded but they are through-wired and filled with foam for a little extra weight but mostly to prevent water from filling the cavity.

Anybody have any experience doing this, or even catching a cow on one of these plugs? Would love to hear about it.

20170905_130338.jpg

Edited by Kphresh

On 9/8/2017 at 11:17 AM, norcalkat said:

Neat idea, how did you end up doing the wire thru?

You take a soldering iron and heat up the hook hangers and the front hanger and pull them out once red hot. After that you can drill through with a 5/16in drill bit and then through wire it. The grommets fit snugly in the 5/16th hole and there are special grommets you can get at Michaels or any craft store for the belly swivels.

any pics of the grommets? also what type of foam you end up using?  I think I want to try this myself over the winter.

6 minutes ago, norcalkat said:

any pics of the grommets? also what type of foam you end up using?  I think I want to try this myself over the winter.

Unfortunately they were my buddies grommets, he brought them so no pic of the package. But I can snap one real quick of the one on the plug just for reference. Also, we used I believe a size 6 spro 130lb swivel for the belly hangers. I will check on that to determine the exact size. Believe it or not it matters because they fit perfectly in the grommet and won't suck up into the plug. 

Here is a belly shot. They were filled with Great Stuff foam in a can. A little goes a long way hahahaha. If you do end up making them make sure to cover the plastic in masking tape around ALL holes and  lay them belly down after injection so you have less mess to clean up later. The foam gets out of every crevice possible so making the cleanup easier is a great idea.

20170909_205804.jpg

They swim about the same as out the box especially when you don't load them. Sometimes they have a little less wag, but honestly a different swim can sometimes entice the bite. Also, the added tail flag will change the swim too depending on the length.

If you decide to load you can just drop in BB's and use a magnet to hold them where you want while the foam sets up.

Yea it just makes that hook up ratio a little better. Plus you could add an inline to the rear loop. That's the beauty of customizing, you can create whatever you want to an already proven producer.

1 minute ago, Livefreeordie said:

So, it occurs to me that ideas like this are ripe to apply to the 'knock-off' bodies available online. 

Absolutely, you can make just about any plug a loaded/thru-wired tank

7 hours ago, ChronicAngler said:

I don't get it, what is the point of this though?

Usually these factory plugs have hook hangers that are poorly designed to catch fish over a certain size and are subject to tearing out. Since the plugs are known producers and have great action, the only solution is to thru-wire them to make them more durable on a higher class fish. Loaded redfins have been known to produce 40 and 50 class stripers, and no way would a factory plug hold up to that size fish.

Also, you can add weigh if you want to increase poor casting distance to target those fish that are just out of reach with a factory out of the box plug.