Weber gas grill

Rate this topic

RonG

I need to replace the flavor bars on my Weber gas grill.  There are 2 types of bar, stainless steel (more expensive) and porcelain (less expensive). I thought porcelain coated would last longer then the stainless steel and more expensive.

Question is which type is better for the grill, stainless or porcelain.

The problem with porcelain coated is the moment it flakes or chips, the flavor bar will rot out extremely fast. 

Porcelain coating has it's advantages but in an outdoor application with extremely high heat, the stainless is the way to go. 

Edited by Scallywag

SS.  Does anyone happen to know why they call them flavor bars? All I see is SS triangle shaped burner covers that protect the burners and keep debris out the small gas jet holes.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

3 hours ago, cheech said:

SS.  Does anyone happen to know why they call them flavor bars? All I see is SS triangle shaped burner covers that protect the burners and keep debris out the small gas jet holes.

Not sure exactly. The drippings tend to hit them and "smoke" off. That's my best guess. The design works a hell of a lot better than competitors though. At least that's my experience. 

8 hours ago, Scallywag said:

The problem with porcelain coated is the moment it flakes or chips, the flavor bar will rot out extremely fast. 

Porcelain coating has it's advantages but in an outdoor application with extremely high heat, the stainless is the way to go. 

Good explanation to go with the SS.

7 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Not sure exactly. The drippings tend to hit them and "smoke" off. That's my best guess. The design works a hell of a lot better than competitors though. At least that's my experience. 

That's exactly why fat drippings vaporize and sticks to whatever your cooking.

[sIGPIC]Goal to catch my first 30 on a plug.

33 minutes ago, Fly By Nite said:

When you flip a steak or burger you should flip it to a different location of the grate since there is some heat loss occurring where the meat was sitting prior. 

One side of my grill is hotter then the other side, so I have to switch the food.