Got the approval from wife Looking for new boat

Rate this topic

Smulax

For up to $35k, there are lots of choices (Yachtworld search) in the 20-23' range for a used boat.  If you're not sure on what style of boat, you may want to consider taking the wife to the Newport in-water boat show next week.  Granted, they'll all be new boats on display, but it's a great opportunity to check out walkarounds, center consoles, cabin/Parker style, etc., etc. all in one location to see what type you like best.  From there you can begin to narrow your search of a used one.  And the dealers at the show will likely have a list on hand of the used boats they have for sale back at their yard.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:14 PM, Smulax said:

I thank all of you for the responses.  A potty wasn't something I had thought of. I would say for location Narragansett Bay, Buzzard's bay maybe running to block if the weathers good.  For budget, I'm not sure yet but I would say max 35K  I really like the look of the down east boats like the seaway.  

They do look nice, but are a bit squirrelly in a following sea. Block and vineyard sound can kick up good on the daily sou'wester. They are also very wet. 

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

On 9/5/2017 at 8:14 PM, Smulax said:

I thank all of you for the responses.  A potty wasn't something I had thought of. I would say for location Narragansett Bay, Buzzard's bay maybe running to block if the weathers good.  For budget, I'm not sure yet but I would say max 35K  I really like the look of the down east boats like the seaway.  

You can get a lot for 35k I would look into some used Steiger 23 or Parker 23 -25 ... def in a deep v if you are running to block ... if you want a center def deep v regulator 23 would be perfect ... don't settle for a 21 go 23 so you get caught you won't pound and get that wet on the way back 

"I KNOW ITS HURTING YOU, BUT IT'S KILLING ME"
(AVENGED SEVENFOLD)

I highly recommend a pre-owned Boston Whaler. Excellent boats that you obviously dont have to worry about sinking. Easy to maintain. Great re-sale value. You also dont have to buy it from a dealer with a warranty. Used boats dont come with a very long warranty anyway so why pay the premium you will spend at the dealer unless you see a boat that you absolutely love? 

When I purchased my boat, it had a Mercury Optimax motor. I had the local mercury dealer/mechanic come see the boat with me. He charged me $100 and he did a thorough review of the motor. They have a laptop that can connect to the motor and it will fully diagnose it. Not only will it tell you if there is anything wrong with it, but it can tell you if there were ever any issues. Whether it ever ran hot. Whether the prior owner ran it too long at high revs. You could tell whether the prior owner basically beat on it or not. You can see if there are any foul injectors which are expensive to fix. I was surprised at how much info you could get....seemed like more than a car.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

Agreed. Our first whaler was. 1999 23 Outrage with a 225 Optimax , purchased in 2013  with 600 hours. Great boat for the $$. Paid 18K. And traded her in this year for 10 K on the 2017. Engine was hurting but the hull was worthy ! Highly recommended boats!

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

I'd recommend something from either Boston Whaler or Maritime Skiff. Boston Whaler makes plenty of boats for any activity on the water, and are super reliable. I bought a 1986 17 foot Whaler and it has been nothing but a solid boat. Maritime skiffs are super well made for most boating activities, but I think have a more sound hull then some of the older Whalers.

16 hours ago, Fishingfrenzy123 said:

I'd recommend something from either Boston Whaler or Maritime Skiff. Boston Whaler makes plenty of boats for any activity on the water, and are super reliable. I bought a 1986 17 foot Whaler and it has been nothing but a solid boat. Maritime skiffs are super well made for most boating activities, but I think have a more sound hull then some of the older Whalers.

Not the best options if you are running to block from the mainland. Can turn ugly quick with the change of tide especially on the moon. 23 or better for comfort. Do research. Whalers are good boats but you really are paying for a name same with regulator. 

"I KNOW ITS HURTING YOU, BUT IT'S KILLING ME"
(AVENGED SEVENFOLD)

From experience with similar wife and passenger demands.... a dual console around 19' to 21' with engine warranty remaining if possible. A good boat manufacturer will help with any abnormal issues even if out of warranty. I really lose no fish-ability with my dual console and I gain additional weather protection and seating (seating and a place to pee privately is important to girls/woman).

Edited by Pauleye
(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')

• 1 month later...

I would recommend a Boston Whaler or a Grady White. I've owned a 28' Whaler and it was great. You didn't mention a tow rig, but if I was looking for something in your price range I would look at the 23' Grady White Gulfstream. A 17' boat gets small fast with 4 people and or weather picks up.

Good Luck with your search.