Cobia NJ/NY

Anyone ever spot or hook one around here? Been trying to figure out a pattern as there's been a half dozen taken in my area last week and a half to 88lbs (most have been small or sublegal). Saw one last year curiously following my bluefish to the kayak hanging out for a second then leaving last September.

Just a thresher shark break off on a surface eel and some more sharks on bunker pods so far. 

Edited by EliasV

Considering there home waters the only pattern  is Bait Pods and Reefs, they like both and the water temp on the south shore is about the same as when they go deep in Fla. Your already utilizing both.

So either find a Manta Ray that they like to hang with or keep a small bunker hooked and ready to toss when one follows the next blue in.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

6 hours ago, EliasV said:

Anyone ever spot or hook one around here? Been trying to figure out a pattern as there's been a half dozen taken in my area last week and a half to 88lbs (most have been small or sublegal). Saw one last year curiously following my bluefish to the kayak hanging out for a second then leaving last September.

Just a thresher shark break off on a surface eel and some more sharks on bunker pods so far. 

Elias

Roughly 7 years ago in May (before i traded my Boston Whaler for a kayak), I was trolling just outside of the Manasquan inlet with a stretch 25. It was blue and silver pattern. I was approaching the inlet so I started to reel in quickly. Got a big hit and this fish started to smoke the reel a bit. Fought it for a solid 5 minutes and got it close to the boat.. Before he took another run I could see it was a cobia. He ended up breaking the hook on that stretch 25 which was new out of the package that day. It was that event which sold me on putting new hooks on my lures.

Anyway, the manasquan inlet is not THAT close to where you are but it is in northern NJ.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

Floating objects is what you are looking for . Check every bouy in the inlet. Throw a 1 ounce bucktail with rubber worm. Any barge , dredge or Commercial boat on anchor is worth checking out. If they are being picky an eel is irresistible to a Cobia. One of the hardest fighting and best tasting fish in the sea. The bay bridge tunnel down on the Chesapeake is loaded with them right now.

Edited by barrell
BARRELL

17 hours ago, EliasV said:

A long time ago, while cruising back from the 'mud hole' (the one off the NY/NJ bight area, not the one off Montauk), we saw a giant sea turtle and it had a pair of cobia keeping it company. We tried to slide up closer and spooked the turtle as well as the fish