Mitchell 302 issue

Rate this topic

dreadlock

My 302 seems to work fine but if you lift up on the spool shaft it comes up about a 1/2 in. Also the varied up down pattern that determines line winding is just short up & down movements. When I remove the side plate  I can see nothing obvious when I pull up on the shaft the "Planamatic Gear, and Planamatic Gear Ring"  turns which on my other reel some thing stops that from turning ( can't tell what ) . Any one have any thoughts on this.  Also on DesertCatFish's great post It talks about a Brass Cross-Wind Cam Mounted how does that work a little confused. Thanks  

OK dread try this out ! 

carefully pull out the pins that are there , then take the gear and tape it to the maingear so that the holess line up as they would when its in place and drill through the maingear with a 3/32 bit  best done in a drill press  go slow  can be done by hand   

find a new ring gear and when it comes in put it in the gear pins down the holes , now you have a croswind cam and if your not happy with it turn it around an use it in the orriginal comfiguration

I stole this off an old fla pier site years ago it works great  

good luck 

Spats thanks check this link (http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/f33/mitchell-how-thread-2939/ ) it is exactly what you are talking about.  That aside it seems that if I'm getting this all correctly when you use a crosswind cam situation the line loads on the reel up and down. With the original set up the line winds on in a more random pattern.  What is the difference and why use a crosswind setup at all?? What do you think?

And just for future knowledge handi2 said broken pins on the ring gear and yes they were but I have since learned that if you put the gear back in the wrong position and the pins don't lock in where they should it could cause the same type of movement. 

dread i prefer the regular pattern on the spool due to the fact that i have been using fireline 20lb braid and it works great and  if you go with a pum it allows the pick up to be more consistant 

Just my thoughts and i have 5 302's set up this way and they have worked great for me another thought is try fixing the drag washers with some 

of the modern ones in between the original ones  do a search on this site for that its got pictures and the layout for them you can get the washers from one of the penn sites   

dread thats the article i used from a few years ago it also shows the drag set up and the washers 

get a few spares too they aren't expensive 

the other thing to do is find some handle washers so you can time the spool and maybe some nylon washers to space out the spool too that makes a diffence in the line lay if you go with the straight up and down layout 

Edited by Spats Maghee