Ball Rasp size for poppers

Rate this topic

lonellr

Looking to buy a ball rasp for poppers...What size would be best? What's the normal width for the mouth? I'm thinking a 5/8" size rasp and make the mouth an inch wide? Or if there is another way to get the cup, can someone share their wisdom?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

You need a 1" rasp to make a 1" mouth.  The are measured by the overall diameter not the radius!  So you need at least a 1" ball rasp if not larger depending how big the plug dia is.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, ' Holy ***t... What a Ride!!

44 minutes ago, a4scoot said:

You need a 1" rasp to make a 1" mouth.  The are measured by the overall diameter not the radius!  So you need at least a 1" ball rasp if not larger depending how big the plug dia is.

Agree.  I also have a 1/2" when making fresh water poppers. 

4 hours ago, bkupmstr said:

Anyone have a good source for these?

found a smaller one on Amazon for about $26

If you have a grinder and some old spade bits you can make your own. I got the idea here, tried a few and it worked great. I have a small adjustable  ''table'' on my grinder and it enables me to grind a cutting edge while rounding the bit at the same time.

5 hours ago, richie c said:

If you have a grinder and some old spade bits you can make your own. I got the idea here, tried a few and it worked great. I have a small adjustable  ''table'' on my grinder and it enables me to grind a cutting edge while rounding the bit at the same time.

Can you post a pic of the finished bit?

thanks