Tippet shelf life? Real or imaginary issue?

Rate this topic

flyangler

Thanks Steve, I've never bought into the flouro myth and use it only because it's density helps sink rate. I am TOTALLY suspicious of the value of invisibility and remember reading in a book by Charles Fox a little experiment done on the Letort where he and Vince Marinaro floated Japanese beetles with heavy mono threaded through their bodies down to rising trout, the fish ate them without hesitation. The lesson in this case was that a natural float was what counted, but it also showed that the fish didn't give a fig about a piece of nylon sticking out of a bug.

JC

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Thanks Steve, I've never bought into the flouro myth and use it only because it's density helps sink rate. I am TOTALLY suspicious of the value of invisibility and remember reading in a book by Charles Fox a little experiment done on the Letort where he and Vince Marinaro floated Japanese beetles with heavy mono threaded through their bodies down to rising trout, the fish ate them without hesitation. The lesson in this case was that a natural float was what counted, but it also showed that the fish didn't give a fig about a piece of nylon sticking out of a bug.

JC

Wow, Jon, That takes me back. Here I am with Vince on his stretch of the Letort. He is gathering Japanese beetles off of bushes and tossing them in the water to chum up some trout for my viewing pleasure! No fish were caught that day, but I learned a few lessons: (1) There's no need to use a line lighter than 5 wt IF you use miles of tippet. (2) You can't stay too far back from the bank. The fishermen's path along the river was about 40 feet back from the bank, and yet if you stood up tall you could still see the fish spooking way far off as you walked down it.

Scan10007.JPG

Scan10006.JPG