Barrett REC7

Rate this topic

christopherr

Oh yea forgot about the bayonet lug. Dumbest gun laws ever.  Ever. 

I wouldn't wait too long. Not a gun sales man but once sportsmen realize the agenda of this new governor I think there will be a rush on guns, mags, ammo. I don't think it will reach heights after the Sandy Hook shooting but it will be a nuisance. That's why if i buy anything now it would be stripped lowers. 

Good luck on your search and eventual new purchase.  It's fun.  It's addictive. 

They are fun guns. Recoil is minimal, ammo isn't too expensive and the platform is can be highly customized. 

When it comes to buying an AR15 pattern rifle, some brands do matter, because only a few (or one, actually) are milspec (compliant with the US Army Technical Data Package).

That one brand is Colt.

Vendors like BCM/Bravo Company and Daniel Defense come close, but not quite.

Specifically, it's the upper receiver group that you should be picky about.  Think of the lower receiver group as a place to hold the fire control group parts.  As long as the lower receiver is forged, it's in spec and the mag ejects freely, and you get decent fcg/other parts, get any lower (avoid polymer).

The upper receiver assembly needs to have a TDP compliant bolt and barrel.  End of story.

Only one vendor does that and it's Colt.  The bolt takes the most abuse in this weapons system, and Colt has a proprietary metal hardening process that to date NOBODY has been able to duplicate.  The bolts are then individually magnetic particle tested.  That makes for a more reliable platform under adverse conditions.  The barrels are hammer forged and high pressure tested.  Not many vendors can hammer forge barrels nowadays.

There is a reason why Colt doesn't sell its bolt and bolt carrier groups at retail.  Because other gun manufacturers want to install them in their guns.

We're in the salad days of black rifles.  If you can get a milspec quality gun (Colt) for $500 or so, you'd be nuts not to pick one up at that price.

Make sure it's a real Hartford Horsey (Colt Defense - West Hartford, CT) and not a licensed copy like Colt Competition.

Edited by fishweewee
spelling

Cool. I've actually never been there but have dealt with him online and thru email and everything has been great. Friend of mine bought a couple pistols there. Spoke highly of the place. Good luck. Have fun. Don't feel pressured to buy something that moment but I'm pretty sure he's got what you want. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2017 at 7:51 PM, christopherr said:

I'll be there tomorrow for the first time. Wheeeee. Im excited. Lol 

Old thread. Did ya end up getting one? 

Took an inventory of some parts I have, searched some older threads. Forgot about this one. 

If you haven't bought one yet you might want to consider doing so before January. 

4 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Old thread. Did ya end up getting one? 

Took an inventory of some parts I have, searched some older threads. Forgot about this one. 

If you haven't bought one yet you might want to consider doing so before January. 

:) I'm building it myself. Lots of delays with certain parts though. Here is a peak. 

IMG_8068.JPG

IMG_8091.JPG

cwm8.gif

On 8/29/2017 at 4:18 PM, fishweewee said:

Just get a Colt and have somebody make it NJ legal (pin and weld muzzle brake, pin stock or get a fixed stock).

No need to spend $$$ on a Barrett unless you are getting one of their .50 cal weapons systems.

He asks for advice but does not want it. lol

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 1:15 PM, Ravioli said:

He asks for advice but does not want it. lol

Because I did not want to get a base model AR that I would've ended up modifying fairly rapidly and dumping money into something that wasn't exactly what I've wanted....As I've done already. Lol. 

So....

I got the free floating rail

the geissele trigger

the trijicon scope / mount

spikes lower 

and other legal goodies. 

and some other goodies and came in at the same price of an LWRC in DI and the Barrett with optics, bipod and case.

Edited by christopherr
cwm8.gif