Barrett REC7

Rate this topic

christopherr

Do you shoot a lot of full auto?

Do you shoot a lot suppressed?

Do you shoot a lot with a short barrel?

Do you shoot a lot in adverse environments (sand, mud, submerged)?

If the answer is NO ... Then you do NOT need this gun.  This is a gas piston gun.  Invariably they are heavier and more expensive than traditional direct impingement gas guns.  Also, there is NO STANDARD DESIGN for A GAS PISTON AR-15 pattern rifle.  Many parts on this gun are PROPRIETARY to Barrett.

Get a traditional DI gas gun like a Colt LE6920 for far cheaper.  Like, $500 or cheaper.

Edited by fishweewee

3 minutes ago, fishweewee said:

Do you shoot a lot of full auto?

Do you shoot a lot suppressed?

Do you shoot a lot with a short barrel?

Do you shoot a lot in adverse environments (sand, mud, submerged)?

Then you do NOT need this gun.  This is a gas piston gun.  Invariably they are heavier and more expensive than traditional direct impingement gas guns.  Also, there is NO STANDARD DESIGN for A GAS PISTON AR-15 pattern rifle.  Many parts on this gun are PROPRIETARY to Barrett.

Get a traditional DI gas gun like a Colt LE6920 for far cheaper.  Like, $500 or cheaper.

Barrett does make one that isn't DI. I wasn't necessarily referring to the DI- the one thats better for suppressed fire, or the one with a short barrel. NJ does not allow full auto so it would be a semi. 

cwm8.gif

1 minute ago, fishweewee said:

Just get a Colt and have somebody make it NJ legal (pin and weld muzzle brake, pin stock or get a fixed stock).

No need to spend $$$ on a Barrett unless you are getting one of their .50 cal weapons systems.

I don't want to spend money on the smithing - would rather have a nice 556 platform without needing work.... the Colt would require several hours of smithing for all of that at roughly $65 an hour and it would not be legal until said work is done.....no thanks. 

cwm8.gif

2 minutes ago, christopherr said:

I don't want to spend money on the smithing - would rather have a nice 556 platform without needing work.... the Colt would require several hours of smithing for all of that at roughly $65 an hour and it would not be legal until said work is done.....no thanks. 

If you are in NJ just get your self a nj compliant AR. Plenty of shops sell them already neutered. 

Or buy some lowers and build as you want.  That's what I have done. You won't save any money by building as you want but it will be to YOUR specs. 

As fishweewee already said you can buy them. CHEAP. 

As for the .50 cal if you have any idea of purchasing one do it NOW because the governor (Murphy) we are getting in November is going to ban it for us regular(law abiding)  folk to purchase. 

Just now, LBI SurfRat said:

If you are in NJ just get your self a nj compliant AR. Plenty of shops sell them already neutered. 

Or buy some lowers and build as you want.  That's what I have done. You won't save any money by building as you want but it will be to YOUR specs. 

As fishweewee already said you can buy them. CHEAP. 

As for the .50 cal if you have any idea of purchasing one do it NOW because the governor (Murphy) we are getting in November is going to ban it for us regular(law abiding)  folk to purchase. 

You're 100% right and this is why I am making the move on a few firearms.

I've looked at the Stags, ...that was another option......completely neutered NJ style. Theres too many options.. Its wild, and I love it. lol Just makes doing research and communicating with other owners that much more important. 

cwm8.gif

I had an interest in a high-end AR. Looked at the Barrett, the Wilson Combat, and a couple others. In the end, I bought none of them. I tried to buy the WC at a manufacturer day in NJ and they would not sell it to me with a fixed stock. They also said if I ordered one that wasn't on display that day that WC would pin the stock at the shortest distance. That seemed stupid due to the fact that there are a lot of different sized owners out there. And then the whole 30 round mag give-up and one or two other things just pissed me off so much I didn't buy an AR. I decided I would wait until I was old enough to retire to a better weapons state before I wasted a lot of money on a beautiful weapon that needed to be declawed first. Just my experience. I am no AR expert.

Cool. Pick up a few Anderson lowers. You can buy as many as you want. Shop will do the one nics check.  Most shops are selling for 45-65$ each. I already have a couple stashed away but may pick up a couple more before November. There is an old thread on here I started by mokes. About an AR build.  Lots of good info in it. 

Sign up at primary arms, palmetto State etc for emails. I'm sure they will have labor days sales. GrabagunDOt com is another site I use for parts. 

I understand people's frustration with njs gun laws but it is what it is. The limit on mag capacity doesn't both me as I have never owned any high capacity mags. Mine are all 10 or 15 round. 

When it comes to stocks I love Magpul fixed moe models.  Easy to install, cheap and indestructible (for this average Joe). 

42 minutes ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Sign up at primary arms, palmetto State etc for emails. I'm sure they will have labor days sales. GrabagunDOt com is another site I use for parts. 

I understand people's frustration with njs gun laws but it is what it is. The limit on mag capacity doesn't both me as I have never owned any high capacity mags. Mine are all 10 or 15 round. 

When it comes to stocks I love Magpul fixed moe models.  Easy to install, cheap and indestructible (for this average Joe). 

Thank you for the recommendations. The interesting thing about NJ gun laws is the vast amount of grey area leaving a lot open for interpretation depending on who (profession) you are.  

Are there any other locations in NJ that have sales on specific dates?

The "high capacity mag" thing is a non-issue really - I hated putting a lot of rounds into a beretta m9 over the weekend. (Takes forever and a day)

I saw some Daniel Defense NJ compliant rifles as well. Theres too many manufacturers!! Ha!

Edited by christopherr
cwm8.gif

12 minutes ago, christopherr said:

Thank you for the recommendations. The interesting thing about NJ gun laws is the vast amount of grey area leaving a lot open for interpretation depending on who (profession) you are.  

Are there any other locations in NJ that have sales on specific dates?

The "high capacity mag" thing is a non-issue really - I hated putting a lot of rounds into a beretta m9 over the weekend. (Takes forever and a day)

I saw some Daniel Defense NJ compliant rifles as well. Theres too many manufacturers!! Ha!

Depends on your location as to what gun shops are around you. Officially any shop in NJ cannot legally sell you a firearm that is not legal in NJ so the ARs they do have should be compliant. I've only bought lowers from local stores. All my other parts have been online and shipped directly to my house. 

And yes the guns are vague or just absolutely assinine.  I don't see how an adjustable stock ban or flash hider ban has reduced crime anywhere in this world. I've written my local "leaders" and have never received an educated answer. I just get the usual dear Jon thanks for your concern letter. 

Just now, LBI SurfRat said:

And yes the guns are vague or just absolutely assinine.  I don't see how an adjustable stock ban or flash hider ban has reduced crime anywhere in this world. I've written my local "leaders" and have never received an educated answer. I just get the usual dear Jon thanks for your concern letter. 

The bayonet lug made me chuckle. The transportation of ammo was also very vague and forced me to contact a few LEO's regarding their stance on transport of ammo and preferred way of doing so under law. 

I'll keep my eyes peeled this coming season and hopefully some of the rifles I've been considering will either drop in price and assist my decision further.  Thank you. I've realized the sky (my wallet) is literally the limit in this new sport. 

cwm8.gif