Tropical Depression/Cyclone

Rate this topic

farmbuilt85

24 minutes ago, DerrickT said:

Had planned on being down every weekend after this weekend till November. So far I've been batting a thousand with bad weather and the weekends I have open to go down.  Why change that now? :laugh:

So given your record lately please tell me that you were not planning on being down anytime between the 9th and 16th??

25 minutes ago, farmbuilt85 said:

Lovely. This Irma may just end up ruining my vacation down at assateague next week. Even if it stays out to the Atlantic.. the surf and winds will be insane. I guess all we can do is pray it stays south...

I can't remember the last time that we were at the beach in the fall that there wasn't at least a storm churning off of the coast... you end up buying bigger and bigger chunks of lead to hold bottom

That is true.. seems every year we go down, its either right before a storm, or right after a storm.  Either way really screws the fishing.  That's the time my family likes going because its cooler out and the fishing is better in September than it is in July.  I'm hoping we get at least 3-4 days of decent fishing before this thing comes up bringing the winds - hoping not! 

Any amount of bad weather now closes the OSV due to overwash, I am wondering if it will be shut down on Saturday? I guess we will have to wait and see.  Assateague OSV is already thin in spots, and the rangers have said they will not be moving the markers further inland, one good noreaster and the OSV is going to be shut down permanently.  Enjoy it while you can, that is what I am doing.

3 hours ago, BLilly said:

VA side closed down, don't know about the MD side

I just went and looked and they closed both north and south.  South wasn't suppose to open till September first.  Would have been nice to know they opened it early.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:45 PM, farmbuilt85 said:

Doesnt look too bad. 

I also just noticed this that appeared today:

Lets hope it stays down there ... but that black line doesnt look so good....

your "down there" is my front door. just sayin'

Edited by tomkaz

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

11 minutes ago, tomkaz said:

your "down there" is my front door. just sayin'

7 minutes ago, farmbuilt85 said:

Let me rephrase that: I hope it stays down there and goes back out to sea without harming anyone.

More better. 

I am supposed to head to the UK on Tuesday for a vacation with my wife - that is now all tentative given one of our kids was supposed to be staying "down there" with my MiL. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

So given what we know thus far (which is not too much on where Irma is headed).. how bad do you think the impacts will be as far as surf conditions from the winds, etc in Assateague?  I am hoping *at least* folks can get some decent fishing in on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.. but I think by Thursday the surf may get extremely rough regardless of where this storm ends up.  But then again, tues-wed could be bad too. You gotta think, by Thursday, its going to be "near" Puerto Rico or bordering it..  Thoughts?  

1 hour ago, AtTheBar said:

I will leave the guesswork to the meteorologists to flip a coin over.   What I will prognosticate on is that if the Euro Model holds true the impact could be more than just a ruined weekend.   

Euro wants to keep south. The GFS wants it on our door step 

FB_IMG_1504391879301.jpg

• luckyOC changed the title to Tropical Depression/Cyclone