pricise10

Gas weed wackers

31 posts in this topic

Power store I go to used to recommend additives for fuel before running it dry for storage. Now they say to replace fuel with non-ethanol, run it through and then do your usual run it dry, fog etc

I have an Echo straight shaft and it's great.  The clearing blade attachment (skilsaw on a stick) is mostly keeping the jungle at bay 

I have a little place so a gas WW was too much, noise and $. My wife got me an elec. WW 18 yrs ago that just went so she bought me a 40 volt Kobalt cordless. Took it for a test run and its powerful and quiet. $75 on sale a Lowes, everything else was over $100.

I have a Craftsman 4 Stroke that I like well enough. It's a straight shaft and has plenty of power. The clutch went a while back but I continued using it. The other day, the throttle cable went. Just ordered the clutch and cable and it will be up and running in a week.  I've had it 8 years. 

I was just thinking about my weed whacker the other day, and how great it's been. I live along a river and our yard/property floods about every other year, meaning that the soil is very fertile and everything grows like crazy. I think I put more hours per year on my weed whacker than on my mower.

I got a dirt cheap poulan model that I got at walmart seven years ago, think it was around $80. Other than changing the spark plug, I've never done anything to it, never winterized it or anything else. It fires right up on the second or third pull each time and runs smooth. I think maybe the reason I've been so lucky with it is because I use it constantly, though it does sit through the winter months.. 

On 8/31/2017 at 8:41 AM, ByronPA said:

I was just thinking about my weed whacker the other day, and how great it's been. I live along a river and our yard/property floods about every other year, meaning that the soil is very fertile and everything grows like crazy. I think I put more hours per year on my weed whacker than on my mower.

I got a dirt cheap poulan model that I got at walmart seven years ago, think it was around $80. Other than changing the spark plug, I've never done anything to it, never winterized it or anything else. It fires right up on the second or third pull each time and runs smooth. I think maybe the reason I've been so lucky with it is because I use it constantly, though it does sit through the winter months.. 

I second the Poulan.

I have a small yard, and use it every other week during the season.

Starts after 4 or so pulls, and runs like a champ.

My only complaint is the line feeder head could work better.

I have to stop it, and manually feed the string sometimes.

Echo straight shaft... SRM-230.  Loads of power and the line install couldn't be easier (don't have to take apart the bump head).

49 minutes ago, Kml said:

100 to 150 tops

That trimmer is so good it is worth eating two weeks of pancake dinners to pay for it.  

I had a Toro that absolutely sucked in all possible ways... rotating shaft was exposed maybe a half inch at the bump head... was constantly getting weed wrapped... 10 minutes to pull it all off.  Had to disassemble the bump head to reline.  Had no power.  First time it stalled out, I threw it out... happily.  $150.

Posted (edited)

I hear you. I don't know why he is coming round here looking for weed wacker info. Doesn't he know his own people?

Edited by Kml

I have an echo is well and love it it was a hand-me-down that was sitting in a shed for about four years. I bought the tune up kit for it and it starts on the first or second pull every time. I have used electric and they just don't have the balls that the gas does. No cords to cut and no batteries to replace. The main mistake everyone makes with gas power tools is not running them dry at the end of the season, if you take the time to care for them they will last a long time. Even my lawn mower is about 15 years old and it still starts no problem every time. 

I have one from sears that got good ratings from consumer reports and don't really like it. Starts fine but I don't like how the string is just a small piece and once it is done needs replaced. Sometimes I need to replace 3 times while working which is a pain. Used to have a B&D cheap electric and actually liked it a lot better. 

On 9/9/2017 at 2:48 PM, Kml said:

I hear you. I don't know why he is coming round here looking for weed wacker info. Doesn't he know his own people?

His people are ashamed he calls them weed wackers. Such a Gringo. :dismay:

Stihl straight shaft last 10 yrs. Replaced the carb once about a year ago. New carb came with a new primer,air filter and spark plug 25.00 amazon.

On 8/27/2017 at 7:25 PM, CapeDave said:

Echo get the straight shaft model at HD spend the money once and be done.

Will be over budget but well worth it.

+++

I can tell you one not to get, I got the troy bilt 4 cycle to get away from the 2 stokes and it has been nothing but trouble.  Now where the pull cord attaches to the shaft is stripped and I had to buy the part to put on my cordless drill to start the stupid thing.  I love all the attachments but hate the powerhead.