Gas weed wackers

Rate this topic

pricise10

Echo get the straight shaft model at HD spend the money once and be done.

Will be over budget but well worth it.

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

I did landscaping and lawn maintenance professionally for a number of years and always used echo products. Now, as a home owner, I got a great deal on a Husqvarna weed Wacker and I absolutely love it. Straight or curved shaft is just a matter of personal preference, one is not necessarily better than the other. That said, I prefer straight shaft.

Are we talking 4 stroke or  2 stroke engines? I had a 2 stroke Echo w/straight shaft that I used with a circular steel blade--that thing was savage! This is back when we lived in the country in PA and I used the weed whacker to keep back the encroaching forest from the yard and edge of our field. But it could be hard to start, especially since it was only used once or twice a year.

Are there reliable 4 stroke weed whackers these days? I wish I had kept that old Echo, but I gave it to a friend in PA years ago when we moved to town.

For home owners with a lot thats reachable , i say get a electric.  It starts every time.  I had a lot of gas ones over the years and spent more time getting them to run.  Would pull, pull and pull.   The trouble is the home owner doesn't use it enough and the carb screws up. 

2 minutes ago, ccb said:

For home owners with a lot thats reachable , i say get a electric.  It starts every time.  I had a lot of gas ones over the years and spent more time getting them to run.  Would pull, pull and pull.   The trouble is the home owner doesn't use it enough and the carb screws up. 

Good points and I agree, but if you want to run a steel blade and cut back small saplings and brush, don't you need a straight shaft and a gas engine, or are there electric trimmers that will do that now?

My son has a gas Stihl  trimmer with all those attachments.  I don't know if they ( electric ) do or don't.  I have a small lot and the electric is the way to go for me anyway.  No more pulling my arm out.

43 minutes ago, ccb said:

The trouble is the home owner doesn't use it enough and the carb screws up. 

As long as you drain the gas at the end of the season and winterize your equipment properly got should never have a problem with a carb getting gummed up. I'm going on 5 years with all of my lawn equipment now, Wacker, edger, mower, hand held blower, and backpack blower. I bought all new stuff when I bought my house. All of my stuff starts up every week in under 4 pulls, and same in the spring after sitting all winter.

last fall my gas wacker finally crapped out, this spring I decided to try something new must admit was a little hesitant, went cordless, EGO, not echo that's gas , well must say I was and still am very impressed and that's not easy for me. has all the power 56v battery charges in 30 mins , does everything my gas one did and more starts as soon as I squeeze the trigger . no gas,oil , pulling the cord till my arm falls off  so far great machine, full 3 year warranty, full power for 45 mins and many atachments  you can add, leaf blower,chain saw, lawn mower, ect. all with the same battery  price got mine for 149.00

After 40 years of gas powered yard tolls, i only have a backpack blower left. Went with the Worx 56v weed eater, blower and hedge trimmer. Very satisfied after a season of use. plenty of power and I only do one thing at a time, so one battery is sufficient, not ideal, just sufficient. Cost me around $350 for all the tools and one battery and charger.

If i were going gas, I'd go with the Echo, worth the extra $50 you might have to splurge.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Echo...I have a Stihl that needs the carb fixed AGAIN.  Thanks Ethanol and I never store it with old gas in it.  Stihl has a ton of power.  Echo does the job just as well...NO issues with the Echo.

Edited by splions

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley