John P

Time to watch for albies

37 posts in this topic

Let's set up a watch for when to albies  show up,  not exactly where,but when People start to see them.  We all know they move around all over the place,but I'd like to know that they are showing up. I will be looking and report when I see them.

I'm interested in this too and I don't even fish your state waters.   This is what fish crack will do to you!   It's like that old PSA, this is your brain on drugs.  LOL.  Good luck this season JP.

Posted (edited)

As of yesterday, bonito (and a small sampling at that) are still the only tunoids I've seen...it's been that way for several weeks now. Caught my first bones on Aug 15, was skunked on a number of trips since, then scraped one up yesterday (shorebound)...And this is at a RI UDL that's not the best small tuna spot, but is a reliable early season spot for both bones and albies. Last year, albies were already in town at this same spot

Edited by albacized

Just to let you know ,spoke to Rivers End tackle, and as of yesterday ,no reliable reports, yet.  This should really start next week.I hope.  Stay tuned.  I will be out tomorrow weather permitting

Posted (edited)

Ya always tell yourself that if the albies come in a tad late, maybe they'll stay later......wishful thinking, it doesn't usually happen that way though.   Maybe Tropical depression "Irma" will get 'em going to the mainland for the dinner bell.

Edited by flylikabird

Heading out through the gut out past Montauk for Mahi Saturday - I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I do think it's early yet for albies.

Out in front of niantic today, some well known albie areas. Saw none of the funny fish, however the bluefish were more than cooperative

Heard the same out of Moriches. In at MV for the last week or so. Mid-Western LIS, two weeks away IMO. 

all I've heard is hearsay reports-  montauk being the closest

Still a lot of small bait around?   Any blues on them?  I'll be down that area this weekend looking for albies with a novice , but he'd be fine with blues.