medriver1999

Good launch spots for the Raritan Bay

35 posts in this topic

Welcome to the tribe John! My favorite relevant religious related quotation is this one, attributed to a Rabbi snarkily asked to give a speed version of the Torah:

Do not do unto others what you find hateful, all else is commentary.

I've been very appreciative of the generous guys here who have shared their knowledge, presumably remembering when they didn't have it. I look forward to hearing pointers from your lifetime on the water.

Okay, just my 2 cents. People that expect to have things handed to them, piss me off. Want to find launch sites? Get in your car and do some legwork. Use google maps. Show a little initiative. But don't come on here and say "gimme".

I've seen way too many spots go down the **** because everybody was open about them. 45 kayakers crowded into one area is WAY too many -  crossing lines, casting over each other, its a freaking mess.

I mean, if there really are no secrets, then why are you asking? 

BTW John, a fair amount of detailed info gets passed by p.m. here. You need to get a certain number of posts on the site, I think 15, before you qualify for p.m. So get kibbitzing!

There are tons of launch spots. If you want to fish Perth Amboy theres a launch  there. If you want to fish Laurence harbor there's a launch spot there. if you want to fish on the moon, there's a launch pad at cape Canaveral. They're everywhere. Use google maps for your targeted area and zoom in the coast lines.

Here on the S.I. side it's pretty much wide open you can find an open path to the beach roll it on in. If you need specific locals p.m. me ...asking is how you learn but you also must play by the rules

It's been a few years but feel free to email me dmbjr@optonline.net. I'll be glad to help you out know every spot on that bay for kayaks on NJ or SI side

Dennis

On 4/13/2018 at 4:07 PM, gellfex said:

Welcome to the tribe John! My favorite relevant religious related quotation is this one, attributed to a Rabbi snarkily asked to give a speed version of the Torah:

Do not do unto others what you find hateful, all else is commentary.

I've been very appreciative of the generous guys here who have shared their knowledge, presumably remembering when they didn't have it. I look forward to hearing pointers from your lifetime on the water.

Well done ... I am taking notes on this approach.

Posted (edited)

There are many places to launch a kayak on Raritan bay. Although most require some effort, some are harder than others. If you invested in a kayak I suggest you also invest in a good kayak cart to roll over sand.

sewaren is very easy to launch from, but from memorial day to Labor Day there is a fee to use the ramp. You can launch a kayak from the beach with minimal effort. *

perth a boy has several locations. Just follow the water around. As a matter of fact I believe they have a kayak club there. Over by the train bridge.there is an old boat ramp in south amboy also. Again just follow the waters edge.

one of the pluses of having a kayak is that you can launch it almost anywhere.

laurence harbor. Right off the beach. Water is very shallow for a ways out, but there is a channel for the bigger boats to exit the marina to the bay.

Next town would be cliff wood beach. *

Continue down th keyport. There is a public ramp at the end of the water front, but again you can launch a kayak from the beach for free. (Keyport harbor is pretty good size before you hit the bay, but at the right time the fishing could be very good.

you said you know Union beach,*.

continue down to keansburgh. *

this can go on and on. * Many places on sandy hook ,ocean side or bay side.there are just so many places I couldn’t name them all right now. But like I said earlier a good kayak cart with balloon tires is ness art to make the job easier.

I expect a lot of people aren’t going to like me giving you this information, but it’s no secret . 

Every fool you ever met thinks he’s smarter than you. And I do expect some of them to have a lot of comments. It’s easy to stand back and throw stones ,but rember these are the people that weren’t willing to share any info with you. Hope I helped you in some way. Go exploring you’ll discover many spots.

have a blessed day

Good luck fishing

Edited by TimS
John - I removed the overly specific locations from your post - it's not a matter of people not liking them it's a matter of this site not allowing overly specific locations to be posted here - thank you for your understanding.

You'll befriend some folx here soon and then you will know so many spots that it will be quite a chore to choose one on a given day.

A good way to start is with google maps on a computer. Turn on the satellite view, zoom in and slowly browse the shoreline in your target area.

The spots will magically reveal themselves. You're looking for parking spots closer to water, with easy access to launch. Sometimes, you'd fine a good launch spot, but parking is further away. Fret not me bredda, you can pull up to the launch spot, drop and rig the kayak , drive to the parking spot and come back on foot. Use common send, dont tempt folx with $2000 rod/reel setups in plain view ! :)

I've read the topic and got the main idea about secret places and stuff.

I've a specific question though. If I want to launch from the west side of Sandy Hook somewhere around Horseshoe cove, do I have to pay the fee at the entrance? I guess, I saw somewhere that fishing is free, but can't find any particular policies online.

if you get there early enough before the booths are manned you can get a free pass at the ranger station. At least that's the way it used to be.

5 hours ago, jerseyhunter said:

if you get there early enough before the booths are manned you can get a free pass at the ranger station. At least that's the way it used to be.

Getting there early on weekends is recommended, as the park is a zoo on weekends.

I used to buy the sandyhook park pass each year. even though I was able to enter for free, I was still using their facilities. It’s been abunch of years since ive lived in nj now so I don’t remember what the cost was.