Ha'ad to believe,.....................

Rate this topic

Mainiac

.............. but summah is about done folks. We got maybe five more weeks of warm weather left and that'll go quick enough. Per usual I feel I didn't get the most out of our short summer. Between work, family and unexpected occurances i did,t fish half of the season. Age it seems may be catching up to me too.

That being said I'm really pumped for the fall. plenty of stripers went north of us this summer and they have to come back. think about that for a minute. Next the amount of small bait(herring,silversides,sandeels) in the estuaries is amazing. Put the two together and we have a recipe for a fantastic fall run. Let us hope so anyways.....:bigeyes:

9 minutes ago, blacklabnh said:

I hope the pogie schools stay (and stay close to the beach) for the big fish coming south 

X2 on that!  Pogies schools and other offshore bait seems to have sucked the big fish out of the surf zone for the most part since early July.  Hopefully they will be back in range of the surf in the next few weeks.

May and June were  unreal. Caught over 1600 in that stretch but 90% were under sixteen inches and just stupid easy to catch. I got maybe fifty fish over thirty with my largest so far at 36". Got a couple hundred in the twenty to thirty inch size too. Yup , good year. But I want MORE .....:cool:

If it ended a month ago I was stoked with this season!

Mainiac, you are a beast!  And good on ya!

so glad to be planning for the more mystical and difficult part of the hunt

as said earlier, the fall run has be rough the past 10 years or so

lookong at this one differently and positively as there are already good signs of the right activity

I for one am a damn happy and maybe optimostic fisherman this year, don't think I'm alone 

Tight lines men

see you OTW

jim 

[/sIGPIC]"Never let the truth spoil a good story"

Not much skill in catching "rats" on a flyrod. Kinda like when you were a kid and caught sunnies in a pond as fast as you could re-worm your bobber &hook.

The bigger fish are a challenge on a fly and thats where my heart lies.

Today's breeze is very end of summerish, and I like that. In 2 weeks the tourists will diminish greatly and I will be able to a)park and b) walk the beaches where I usually find good fish on peanuts. Looking forward to that. Lots of little fish around this summah, I got to the point this year that once I caught 10 rats I'd pack it in for either another spot of another day, just got tired of pulling in small fish. Never did get my boat down from the lake, nor did I bother using the kayak. Seems I make all these grandiose plans every winter and then life happens! I did get a pass to Parker River Reserve as planned, maybe I'll spend September actually using it....

I have had a fun and good year this year. I don't keep track of numbers except for my biggest and it was an early June 45" fish on a sp minnow. I had a feeling it was going  to be my biggest and it's held up so far. 

Today I got two 38" fish and my friend Rob got a 36" fish (sp minnows). Rob We thought it was a 46" till we saw it was foul hooked. SP minnows outfished sluggos for us this year. 

27 minutes ago, mainefinn05 said:

Agreed, we get our coast back. September in Maine is amazing and it's followed by the opening of upland season. 

My favorite spot to throw peanut flies is pretty much inaccessible before Labor Day. Tied a dozen or so in the past day, you're right - we get our coast back!