Bass/Bues Surf-bite: Let’s talk day, night, sun-up & down

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Tim I completely agree with you, there isn't any better way to learn than putting your time in. When I first started I really wanted the easy answer of where the fish were and how to catch them, and the answer i got was put your time in. And honestly that was the best thing anyone could have done for me. I have spent hundreds of hours on the water over the past year and a half now and my finding fish rate to skunk rate has drastically gotten better. I have learned so much on my own and I'm happy nobody gave me the easy way out. I just think that young guys get a bad reputation sometimes and people aren't willing to help or even talk sometimes.  When I first started going to some of my spots most guys wouldn't even look up as I passed them. Now since they see me there everyday they talk, but the thing I hear the most is "you aren't like most of the new guys".  Just saying sometimes the younger guys get a bad name but sometimes we will surprise you and we can actually fish. 

And this group has taught me a lot by reading stuff like this topic. Its awesome. 

Edited by Ripnowell45

15 minutes ago, Ripnowell45 said:

Just saying sometimes the younger guys get a bad name but sometimes we will surprise you and we can actually fish. 

One thing guys that have been surf fishing for a long time know - age doesn't matter. The guys getting a bad name aren't getting it because they are young, they are getting it because of how they behave. Just like you've learned, when you act like a surf fisherman you get treated like one. I don't care if you are 15 or 50, if I'm fishing a spot and you are fishing towards me...and rather than climb in my armpit, you walk up on the sand 30 yards before you get to me - and walk past me another 30 yards before you start casting again, you have earned my respect. It shows me that you are as interested in what I'm doing as you are in what you are doing. It's courteous, it's respectful...and it's rare. Next time I see you, if you are walking around my spot like that and I'm doing anything I might say "Hey...if you haven't found them, there's a few on this bar". When you let someone know that your every thought isn't about you and you show them you aren't there to climb in their arm pit, they are much more likely to show you some appreciation. It doesn't have anything to do with age, it has everything to do with actions and attitude. 

And, honestly, the last thing I care about is how many fish someone catches. There are some world class tools out there that can catch fish...I'd rather fish with a kid who understands respect and courtesy who's out there trying to figure it all out any day :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

9 hours ago, TimS said:

One thing guys that have been surf fishing for a long time know - age doesn't matter. The guys getting a bad name aren't getting it because they are young, they are getting it because of how they behave. Just like you've learned, when you act like a surf fisherman you get treated like one. I don't care if you are 15 or 50, if I'm fishing a spot and you are fishing towards me...and rather than climb in my armpit, you walk up on the sand 30 yards before you get to me - and walk past me another 30 yards before you start casting again, you have earned my respect. It shows me that you are as interested in what I'm doing as you are in what you are doing. It's courteous, it's respectful...and it's rare. Next time I see you, if you are walking around my spot like that and I'm doing anything I might say "Hey...if you haven't found them, there's a few on this bar". When you let someone know that your every thought isn't about you and you show them you aren't there to climb in their arm pit, they are much more likely to show you some appreciation. It doesn't have anything to do with age, it has everything to do with actions and attitude. 

And, honestly, the last thing I care about is how many fish someone catches. There are some world class tools out there that can catch fish...I'd rather fish with a kid who understands respect and courtesy who's out there trying to figure it all out any day :)

TimS

Very thoughtful and well said. You are just missing the hero photos!!!!!

30 minutes ago, yarddog59 said:

Very thoughtful and well said. You are just missing the hero photos!!!!!

I have no problem with folks taking a picture of a fish they are proud of :) I do think it's ridiculous to put every single fish, big and small, that you catch through your "lookee me" photo process so you can bore the rest of the world...but to each their own, whatever jiggles yer jello :wave:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Great post and info.  I learned from freshwater and watching my dad surf fish just soaking bait, bottom rigs.  The joker would always catch something, and I've about always struck out till last year.  I find it fun and easy to talk to people, ask questions, think there's something to learn from almost everyone.  Add to the experience, if nothing else gives you a story for later.  Lots to learn here and from people but tips online and videos sure help, knots especially for me.  I just did the double knot forever like freshwater, and then learned I was way off. 

(*member formerly known as 'jbg123')

Just now, jbg123 said:

I learned from freshwater and watching my dad surf fish just soaking bait, bottom rigs.  The joker would always catch something, and I've about always struck out till last year. 

I've tried bait in one spot multiple times with no luck. Just a dogfish here and there, but no bass or blues. Lures i've had some success in this spot. Last spring there was an older gentleman and his Probalby 40 y/o son hauling in gators and 40" bass for about 1.5 hours and lures were getting me nothing that day. I stopped to tell them nice job and asked what they were using for bait and the son said just clams, even let them know that i've tried that exact same spot with bait many times and never got any action like that. Both guys were real nice, father said it was probably the best day he ever had.  The rest of the day i was perplexed over what i had just witnessed. 

Gotta know how to fish a clam............the right way.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

That's crazy, goes to show you never know what it's gonna be a particular day bite wise, also location location location like real estate on your spot selection. Of course it's possible they were lucky and picked the prime spot too, good on him either way and for his son too as they'll be good memories I'm sure!

(*member formerly known as 'jbg123')