Borderline11

DIY Pork Rind Trailers

3 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has recently gone through the process of making their own pork rinds to use as bucktail trailers.  I recently tried but now I'm having some issues.  It actually started with me getting a big piece of meat from the store to use for pulled pork in a crock pot.  Probably not the best for this application, but figured it was worth a shot.  I cut the skin away and was able to trim down the fat fairly well.  I coated the thing in kosher salt, stuffed it in a mason jar, filled it with more salt and then topped off with water.  Kept it like that for two weeks then took it out to clean it a bit more, then repeated.  Eventually, the skin was looking pretty good so I cut it down to strips.  They were probably a little less than a 1/4 inch, still had some fat tissue on it but, very soft and loose.  To whiten them up a bit, I put them in a container with vinegar over night.  Then finally, I put them back in the mason jar to store them with a salt water solution of 3-4 cups of water to 2 cups of salt.  For some reason, they've gotten really stiff and started to curl.  When I take them out of the solution, they stay in that shape.  They were extremely soft and pliable the entire month before while storing / curing so I'm not sure what happened.  Anyone have an idea of where I went wrong.  Perhaps the salt water solution was still too warm from boiling and it effected them?  Anything I can do to loosen them up again?  Otherwise...they're pretty useless.  Thanks for any suggestions and input.    

Maybe the vinegar caused the problem, it is a fairly strong acid? How about placing them in the juice from a real jar of rinds. I've heard of guys using strips of shamwow or mophead etc. Once its soaked in rind juice or attractant like Mikes it could work as bass have great olfactory senses. Good luck with the science.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:22 PM, cheech said:

Maybe the vinegar caused the problem, it is a fairly strong acid? How about placing them in the juice from a real jar of rinds. I've heard of guys using strips of shamwow or mophead etc. Once its soaked in rind juice or attractant like Mikes it could work as bass have great olfactory senses. Good luck with the science.

I've used real chamois cut into strips. 8", 6" and 2". Took a couple doz seaworms and blended them with a qt of seawater, split it between 2 good sealing plastic containers and place 25-30 of the 8" strips in one. After 20 30 min in water, change strips placing used one in the other container. 8" on tube & worm. Used puree of mackerel on the 6" for jigs and squid puree on the 2" for scup. Works pretty well. Plus is blues don't bite em off, couple holes is all.