First Fly rod ?

Rate this topic

surfcast

I am going to purchase my first fly rod, I am clear about weights . I see all different weight rods ,come in different lengths.

What do I use to determine length , is it just preference. Or is it area specific, species specific, Obviously I am new to it better to start small and wok up ?

I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Jim Morrison 

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

Type of fishing you want to do will determine. Saltwater the best all around is a nine foot in single hand fly fishing. For brookie fishing in small streams you might go down to a seven footer. All around freshwater maybe a 5-6wt from eight and a half to nine feet.

i don't want to rain on your parade but my first impression is that you are not familiar with fly fishing. The fly rod is just the tip of the ice berg, so many things to consider, I would suggest that you try to connect with someone who fly fishes for what your target will be. That could save you a lot of time and money. 

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Echo Base. I am no expert but have been fly fishing for 6 ish years now and tried a #6. Loved it, so I bought myself a #7 for schoolie stripers.But length and weight will depend on what you are fishing for. Rod is important, line is super important, reel is just a place to store line. I rarely get a fish on the reel unless it's at least keeper sized, and or a good swift current is running.

My idea was to use it in the lake, just to start learning how to cast . And then hope to do some, trout fishing.

I was thinking possibly a 6 wt  7 foot long. From the replies above salt water Is 8 -- 9 foot and stream is 7--8 foot

I guess because of brush . 

Jim Morrison 

For trout fishing an 8ft6in 5wt is a good size but an 8ft6in 6wt might be better if you are planning to do some bass fishing with it too. The entry level package deals usually have a good moderate action blanked rod to learn with. The Sci Angler intro packages are good ones to consider and incorporate one of their lines matched to the rod. Bears Den fly shop in Taunton MA has two of these packages on their website one labeled trout the other bass for $119.

Edited by JEFFSOD

Would 8foot 6 be to much for a stream ?  A longer rod would give more distance, I imagine ?

Jim Morrison 

32 minutes ago, surfcast said:

Would 8foot 6 be to much for a stream ?  A longer rod would give more distance, I imagine ?

Who makes a 7 ft 6 wt?  A 8'6 to 9' 5 wt is a pretty standard length for a trout rod.  At most I would go down to 8 ft length-wise (for rod weight, I like a 3 wt for trout fishing--but a 5 wt would have more general applicability).  A longer rod helps with managing line to avoid drag (which is very important for fishing streams).  

I'd consider visiting a local fly shop.

It it is a decent shop, they'll have outfits for fit nearly any budget within reason.

They could also help you with a quick casting lesson as well.

Lots of variables as BFD mentioned. If you end up liking FFing, you soon find that one outfit won't do it all.

The good thing about getting into it today is we've never had it so good as far as equipment choices go.

There are many good options for the beginner as well as the seasoned angler.

Enjoy the journey.

SF

An 8 to 9 foot 5 weight would be a good place to start. I would prefer something lighter for trout, but for the lake too I wouldn't go much lighter. As previously mentioned your local TU chapter is probably full of people who can help you and have knowledge of your area, and they typically welcome visitors. Just check when/where the next meeting is.

Lots of good advice so far. It's easy to tell you what I prefer and use, but that's a complete crapshoot as to whether you will feel the same. Truthfully, what you prefer today may be completely different from what you prefer five years from now, too. To get started with a first rod that's good across many freshwater applications, it's hard to beat a 8.5' 5wt medium fast action from a major manufacturer. Caveat emptor, I would avoid any rod that comes in a kit. If you are fortunate enough to have a well-stocked fly shop in your area (not Cabelas or Bass Pro) I strongly encourage you to visit and test cast rods in several sizes. Tell them the types of water you intend to fish and species of fish you are targeting. They can also recommend reels and lines to go with the rod so that you have a well-balanced kit.

Edited by BlooMagoo

"Work is what I do in between fishing trips."