Case Overal Lenght??

Rate this topic

fille9

How can I find the case length in order to have the point of the bullet just touching the groves in the barrel?   I guess once you get the proper case length then I have to find the proper depth to seat the bullet.  How do I find the proper depth to seat the bullet??  Rifle in question is Springfield M1A  cal 308.  Is there any difference between Cal 308 and &.7.62

Thank you in advance......Phil M.

1 hour ago, fille9 said:

How can I find the case length in order to have the point of the bullet just touching the groves in the barrel?   I guess once you get the proper case length then I have to find the proper depth to seat the bullet.  How do I find the proper depth to seat the bullet??  Rifle in question is Springfield M1A  cal 308.  Is there any difference between Cal 308 and &.7.62

Thank you in advance......Phil M.

Case length is ONE of the factors that determines Cartridge Overall Length (COL).

The other two factors that determine COL are bullet length and bullet seating depth.

To have the bullet just touching the lands you must determine the Cartridge  Overall Length (COL) that will do that in YOUR M1A.

My impression is that your are a novice reloader so be aware that in general, pressure rises  when a cartridge has a COL such that its bullet just touches the lands (minimal bullet jump).

The www is loaded (bad  pun) with info on reloading cartridges for the M1A.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

Case length (CL) refers to the length of the empty brass case from the base of the case to the case mouth.  When a case gets fired, it stretches and so it needs to be trimmed back to specified length before reloading.  The case length info (in inches) can be obtained from a good reloading manual or SAAMI:

http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm?page=ANSI

Cartridge overall length (COL) refers to the length of the entire loaded cartridge, from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet.  These will vary somewhat even within calibers.  Frequently referred to as max COL - the longest case length that can be loaded so that it chambers, or fits in your magazine (if applicable).  What COL is right for your rifle?  You can customize it using a overall length gauge like this one in the vid below.  Remember the shorter the COL, the higher the pressure.  Stick to the published specs in the reloading manual that is consistent with the powder and bullet/bullet weight that you are using.

Hornady has two different models - one for bolt guns and one for gas guns.

Edited by fishweewee

Obviously, you would be well served with a quality calipers.

I'm partial to Starrett or Mitutoyo.  There are also some decent digital ones out there.

The bestest value in case trimming tools out there is the Giraud:

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri Way Trimmer.htm

Remember that you need to tumble and resize cases before trimming them.

Don't forget to get a case gauge from LE Wilson.

Edited by fishweewee

• 1 month later...