Bigger species?

Rate this topic

Hey guys I am from MA and going down on vacation to Delaware again next week (did this last year) and trying to see what I can expect for bigger fish offshore in the area. I'm usually a striper guy up here and Last year we hired a guide to take us for mahi (bucket list for me) but only got some small Albies cuz of the timing. Any other suggestions on what can be targeted around the area there both with a guide off shore and any tips on shore fishing as well for all species would be greatly appreciated. 

...Paul, the sky is the limit as far as offshore blue water fishing goes around here at this time of the year. Several species of  tuna, marlin, dolphin, swordfish and even an occasional sailfish is possible if you go canyon fishing. An overnight canyon trip would be fantastic if you could $wing it.  It you like to bottom fish, there is excellent tile fishing out there too.  You just have to go on a boat the specializes in that type of fishing.  Chumming for BFT and YFT can be good a little closer to shore than the canyons, around the 20-30 fathom lumps. It takes a lot of baitfish in the area to keep them around though. Tunas have tails and don't hang around unless there is something for them to eat.

If you were catching small albies last year, it sounds like you were not in the blue water "zone", ie. not offshore far enough. They can be very abundant in inshore waters from around here until almost November.  They are a lot of fun to catch on light tackle, but not much good for food value...unless yer a bigger fish.  They make good shark bait and belly strips for trolling.

You will have three choices of locations to fish out of...Indian River Inlet, Lewes or Ocean City. The offshore charter boats all fish the same areas and Ocean City has the largest number of charter boats to choose from.

If you decide to go surf fishing, don't expect very much in the way of "big" fish.  Sharks maybe.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and enjoy your vacation.

...fm/nj