dlaurend

What size Yeti for a big center console

18 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about a Yeti 160 for a 41' Regulator.  Wish the boat was mine but will be contributing a cooler to the offshore cause.   Right size?   Appreciate some guidance.   

I'm thinking about a Yeti 160 for a 41' Regulator.  Wish the boat was mine but will be contributing a cooler to the offshore cause.   Right size?   Appreciate some guidance.   

"One of my favorite places aboard the 41 is the 5-foot-wide seat with an angled backrest in front of the console. At the foot of the 45-inch-long lounger is a 240-quart locker with special racks for stowing a five-gallon bucket. Under the bow deck is another fish box, this one boasting a 156-gallon capacity."

I'm guessing a 41 Regulator already has tons of fish storage and doesn't need more.  if you need more or for large fish - Canyon Bags are probably a better option.  A giant cooler will always be in the way.  I'd ask the one exactly what he wants.  If I had a fancy boat like that, I would want Frigid Rigid.

Talk to captain. His boat .His rules.would be more respectful this way.alot of captains like things in certain places or not there at all.,last thing I want is  fisherman's bringing random things along for the trip that is most likely not needed... A canyon bag would be better if needed.unless it is a total gift to him ,talk to him about it might need other important gear or maintenance items.

On 8/12/2017 at 7:35 PM, Cpalms said:

I'm guessing a 41 Regulator already has tons of fish storage and doesn't need more.  if you need more or for large fish - Canyon Bags are probably a better option.  A giant cooler will always be in the way.  I'd ask the one exactly what he wants.  If I had a fancy boat like that, I would want Frigid Rigid.

1000%  agree.

Fridgid ridgid puts yeti to shame.  And are actually worth the money they charge.....They take like 40 hours to make one cooler.  And is factory equipment on many boats.

But a big cooler as Cpalms said..unless it's an open bow could get in the way.  A canyon bag would be a better solution especially if swords, makos, giant tuna are the target.

That's a big CC....but it doesn't look like a big cooler could be fit without blocking hatches.  

Any boat that size built for fishing, especially a Regulator, will have tons of fish storage built into the boat.

Looking at Regulators website: 

Forward Seat Insulated Fishbox/ Dry Storage (2) * 216 quarts

In-Deck Fishbox/ Locking Rod Storage 624 quarts

Transom Fishbox 84 gallons

Drink Box Coolers (2) *48 quarts

Typically a cooler on that size boat will be used to extend ice storage or purely for food/drinks but I see they also have two built in 48qt coolers as well.

Talk to your friend and see where he wants to put the cooler and what purpose will it serve.  You can then take a tape measure and compare to Yeti specs on their website.

Only one 41' Regulator in NJ ("Reel Big Daddy") that I know of and from pics he put a cooler in the back and installed two seats to the top of the cooler.

Yeti is way overpriced

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

But a big cooler as Cpalms said..unless it's an open bow could get in the way.  

Regulator no longer sells boats with an open bow....forward seating only.

IMO getting forward seating in a center console is such a waste of a good center console...might as well buy a sport fish, express, pilot house or walk around! 

On 8/17/2017 at 2:03 PM, J Barbosa said:

Regulator no longer sells boats with an open bow....forward seating only.

IMO getting forward seating in a center console is such a waste of a good center console...might as well buy a sport fish, express, pilot house or walk around! 

That, I think, reflects the need - even on a big CC - to design first for the family market.  I remember reading a quote from some super-successful boat salesman: "Seats sell boats."  And if a wife or GF is going to be comfortable, the bathroom space needs to be adequate, or she comes out after the first use and announces "I hate this boat."  [Same article, same salesman being quoted.]

OTW had a review of the Buddy Davis 26' CC a few issues ago. That's not a small CC, either, but it only comes with wraparound forward seating. Capt. Frank Crescitelli was the owner/guide whose boat provided the review, and he said his family liked the seating, and it turned out to interfere less with fishing then he had feared.

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

That, I think, reflects the need - even on a big CC - to design first for the family market.  I remember reading a quote from some super-successful boat salesman: "Seats sell boats."  And if a wife or GF is going to be comfortable, the bathroom space needs to be adequate, or she comes out after the first use and announces "I hate this boat."  [Same article, same salesman being quoted.]

OTW had a review of the Buddy Davis 26' CC a few issues ago. That's not a small CC, either, but it only comes with wraparound forward seating. Capt. Frank Crescitelli was the owner/guide whose boat provided the review, and he said his family liked the seating, and it turned out to interfere less with fishing then he had feared.

Proof that the wife always wears the pants in most relationships.

If I was going to waste the bow space on a center console I would buy a different boat instead.  Wife will be plenty happy in a pilot house/express or sportfish.

I had a center console with forward seating....never would I ever buy one again. lol

41 regulator my buddy runs just added the biggest yeti cooler i have ever seen and it looks like a 6 pack cooler on that deck.

Nice ride

Isn't a commercial-size ice maker standard on that Regulator?

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, scoobydoo said:

1000%  agree.

Fridgid ridgid puts yeti to shame.  And are actually worth the money they charge.....They take like 40 hours to make one cooler.  And is factory equipment on many boats.

But a big cooler as Cpalms said..unless it's an open bow could get in the way.  A canyon bag would be a better solution especially if swords, makos, giant tuna are the target.

That's a big CC....but it doesn't look like a big cooler could be fit without blocking hatches.  

For the price of a frigid rigid I would hope it puts yeti to shame.  I bought a yeti, 75 and paid 300 brand new.  Frigid 65 is 659 ad 85 is 789.  That is more than 2x what I paid and close to 3x's on the 85. 

I have had the yeti on the boat (locked down) since new.  Over the last month I have put Ice in the Yeti 3 times.  The contents within the cooler remain cold.  The drinks I leave on the boat are all cold.  I have been nothing short of amazed by how long the cooler keeps ice and keeps the contents cold.  Use the boat  3-4 times a week and are in and out of cooler all the time.  Short of having a power supply I can't see any cooler being far superior, though I have been proven wrong before.  I did own a few knock offs  (rtic, igloo sportsman,  and Ozark) before I decided to just buy the yeti.  The knock offs were ok but didn't perform any where as well as the yeti.    Sorry for the side bar.

I agree with others, ask capt and let him tell you what he wants on his boat.