Check engine light. Again

bob_G

Can you scan it? I bought a wifi /bluetooth scanner off ebay for less than $30, downloaded torque pro on a tablet for $5.

Otherwise, I go to autozone but you have to give them the vin and everything to get a simple code.

Usually, it's an evaporative emmisions for gas cap seal. 

Without the code for why the light turned on, it is tough to help.

But, by chance, did you fill up, and run down to about a half a tank?

That's when my light comes on...gas cap leak.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ok, Toyota Tacoma v6, new exhaust system. All new sensors. Newly rebuilt computer. Everything's fine for a month. Then, as if on cue, the check engine light comes on, again.

Thoughts?

Used to be free check engine code reading at Auto Zone. They don't do a diagnostic, but once you have the code you can lookup the cause/source.

1 hour ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Used to be free check engine code reading at Auto Zone. They don't do a diagnostic, but once you have the code you can lookup the cause/source.

yes. get the code, and you'll have a reason. 

i've been having a problem with mine, the code had nothing to do with emissions, etc. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

How is it running?  Did it pass emissions while it was running without the CEL?

My '02 4Runner's exhaust gives me fits with all its codes.  They are fussy about cats (the $1600 Toyota OEM cats work best) and sensors (one before the cat, one after).  I can't get rid of the codes.  After 5 attempts to solve with varying sensors, my local mechanic sent me to the Toyota dealer, who wants $3000 to replace the exhaust and $9000 to repair the rotting frame.  Thank goodness the frame is rotted out - now I can junk it with a clear conscience.:banghd:

Good luck, man -

17 hours ago, dena said:

Without the code for why the light turned on, it is tough to help.

But, by chance, did you fill up, and run down to about a half a tank?

That's when my light comes on...gas cap leak.

Gas cap leak is my guess too.

Edited by YakDawg

Autozone - have em plug it in

Most common reasons for intermittent warning light, faulty gas cap, O2 sensor, spark plug / spark plug wire.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

2 hours ago, tbyrne said:

How is it running?  Did it pass emissions while it was running without the CEL?

My '02 4Runner's exhaust gives me fits with all its codes.  They are fussy about cats (the $1600 Toyota OEM cats work best) and sensors (one before the cat, one after).  I can't get rid of the codes.  After 5 attempts to solve with varying sensors, my local mechanic sent me to the Toyota dealer, who wants $3000 to replace the exhaust and $9000 to repair the rotting frame.  Thank goodness the frame is rotted out - now I can junk it with a clear conscience.:banghd:

Good luck, man -

Did toyota offer you a decent trade-in?

When I won my judgement against Toyota, they not only replaced the frame, but replaced everything since the Attorney Gen took the case. New frame, new brakes, new lines,  shocks, leaf spring, stabilizers, tie rods, exhaust system, all new sensors, battery, water pump, timing belt, valve cover gasket, windshield wipers and reimbursed me for my registration.  Check engine light finally went out.

1000 miles later, check engine light returns.  Left lights on one day, dead battery. Call AAA for a jump. They send a truck to jump. The kid reverses polarity and fries my computer. Garage and AAA pay for a rebuilt computer, check engine light goes out.  500 miles later, check engine light returns.

The Sultan of Sluggo