FIrst rod build

Rate this topic

chuckq777

Hello,  First try at a rod build, and it is def a well discussed build on the internet, a GSB 120 1L cut down to 9'.  I read and watch many videos of the person that uses such a rod and wanted to try one so I purchased a blank only shortly after to discover that Lami now offers such a rod from the factory.  This is much better and will hopefully get me started into building.  Im entry level with plug building and also make duck calls, referencing my shop experience and accessible tools. 

Ive read all the threads on the this site pertaining to this particular rod and my brother in law has just built his first rod so I will have some direction. 

I would like to go with the 5 guide layout and shrink tape for the handle.  Not 100% on handle length yet.  Ive read that some people use factory layouts for the full 10' blank on the cut down and was wondering where I would find that layout.  Also if anyone has a recommendation for a 5 guide layout I would much appreciate that otherwise im going to start with the COF layout. 

I currently use a Mojo surf 2peice 3/4-4oz and will hopefully enjoy this rod.  I hope it will work a little better with the pencil.  I will be using my penn clash 5000 with 30lb braid. 

Another question, would I need a doubled footed first guide for line support or would it just be for a sturdier guide in the event it gets knocked around ?  Im thinking of just using single footed guides.  I guess my uneducated game plan is to have a nice light rod. 

If anyone sees any issues with my plan please let me know.  If you would like to PM that would also be great. 

Thanks for your time!  

Single foot are fine, the danger is you breaking them not the fish. If you dont like the stripper (first guide) being a single foot becuase of its height use a double there then finish in single foot. I really dont like the ideal of cutting a foot of the bottom of that blank but that personal preference. I would not do a 5 guide layout, COF or copy a stock layout, defeats the purpose of building it yourself, and a custom builders layout should be better that any stock layout available. If you want to actually have a lighter rod you can use 7 or 8 guides with a more modern layout and have a lighter and better casting and fish fighting rod. I say this to everyone that is starting out and its not a blow off its sound advise. Look at the tutorials on Anglers Resources website, they go into detail about new guide concept and Rapid Choke or KR setups. Either of these layouts will be much better. You can get some general knowledge and be able to ask better questions is you look there first. Plus when people start throwing around terms and guide names you will know what they are talking about.

Just electrical tape it up and throw my usual stuff ?   Like electrical tape ?   I'll do that.  Gona order guides and other material soon.  I'm Gona go with a modern guide layout as suggested.  Weight was my only concern and if that's not an option than I'm in. 

Gona go with a New Guide Concept layout.  Will I be able to order the guides I need or will there be a need for extra guides ? I read up on suggested reading have also seen a few suggested guide sizes in old posts related to this toptic.  

Does anyone have a recomedation on guide size ? 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, SurffisherMike said:

Single foot are fine, the danger is you breaking them not the fish. If you dont like the stripper (first guide) being a single foot becuase of its height use a double there then finish in single foot. I really dont like the ideal of cutting a foot of the bottom of that blank but that personal preference. I would not do a 5 guide layout, COF or copy a stock layout, defeats the purpose of building it yourself, and a custom builders layout should be better that any stock layout available. If you want to actually have a lighter rod you can use 7 or 8 guides with a more modern layout and have a lighter and better casting and fish fighting rod. I say this to everyone that is starting out and its not a blow off its sound advise. Look at the tutorials on Anglers Resources website, they go into detail about new guide concept and Rapid Choke or KR setups. Either of these layouts will be much better. You can get some general knowledge and be able to ask better questions is you look there first. Plus when people start throwing around terms and guide names you will know what they are talking about.

listen to this guy, he knows more than you