Unexpected Emptying nest

Rate this topic

saltydawg

20 hours ago, saltydawg said:

My daughter was accepted to the School of the Arts to finish her final two years of high school. While it's an awesome opportunity, I was not prepared to have her leave for another two years. Getting old sucks. 

Thats great, my daughter also took some college credited courses in her JR and senior year, shed spend a half day nearby and take the courses- which were free. Students were invited not based on their academic grade, but in a one page essay of why they should be allowed & what courses she'd like to take. She was selected along with 15 other students taking everything from EMT course, Computer Networking courses teaching courses,  to child development 

It worked out great, after a few months at one point I asked what she really liked about it.....she paused then answered "its great that everyone is there to learn, not screw around, we all have the same goals".

I replied "what have you done with my daughter?"

On 8/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, saltydawg said:

My daughter was accepted to the School of the Arts to finish her final two years of high school. While it's an awesome opportunity, I was not prepared to have her leave for another two years. Getting old sucks. 

Man, can I feel your "pain" Salty. Going through the exact same thing right now. 

When we moved to Florida two years ago, only sons #3 and 4 moved with us. Eldest is in NYC and #2 up in Boston at college.

We figured #3 would be here for four years, but no, he's leaving in September to go to school in UK. Florida schools, even the local privates, turned out to be a disappointment and we would not send him to a US boarding school (we know too much about those). So he will be finishing his last two years of HS at what is arguable the best all-boys school in the UK for what they call Sixth Form. Schools dates back to the late 1300s, very cool. 

I am so happy for him (awesome opportunity) but sad for my wife, the youngest and the dog who will all have to do without his daily presence. And I will miss the slug too, even if he drives me crazy too often. 

One upside of this, his school is in Hampshire which is the middle of the UK's famous chalk stream region and I look forward to wetting a line in the Rivers Test and Ichen (his school owns 4 miles, double bank, of the Ichen). 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

5 hours ago, saltydawg said:

a lotta purple hair anyway

Does she have a sense for the percentage of Asian students? My niece just graduated from one of the NYC design colleges and her classmates were 85% Asian and VERY driven. Said it made her a better student but reported that the competition was brutal. 

Whats did Nietzsche say? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson