Just a little further

Rate this topic

Ironmike83

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for a little advice. I'm trying to increase my casting distance. Currently casting in the 75 yard range, but trying to reach 100 yards plus. 

I'm using a 12ft Ocean Master rod, Abu 6500 cs chrome rocket (all brakes disengaged, locked towards the center) with seagaur red 15lb fluorocarbon line and a 3oz egg weight with bait. I've been using the pendulum cast, though I am fairly new to this technique. 

After reading some post, 100 yards seems easily achievable with what I've got. 

So, what can I do different? 

Edited by Ironmike83

My suggestion would be to focus on the fundamentals. If you are throwing a pendulum cast and hitting 75 yards then you need to focus on how you finish the cast, not how you start it.

Put the sinker on the ground. Start with the rod directly behind you (tip 180 degrees from target) and the sinker at about 200 degrees from target. Get your arms away from your body with the left (assuming right-handed) about chin high and the tip a few inches off the ground. This will help set your launch angle. Turn into the cast, KEEP YOUR ARMS EXTENDED!! This is hard, most guys fail at this point and collapse the arms back into the body. Focus on keeping the left extended until it is out in front of your forehead. Now pull with the left to your chest and punch toward your target with the right. Focus on a spot 45 degrees above the horizon as your target and cast to that spot.

As you gain confidence, add a few degrees of rotation. Be sure to keep the sinker behind the rod tip as you add rotation. Once the groundcast is mastered (hundreds of casts) THEN work on the pendulum and focus on the finish learned from the GC.

here is a clip that may help, it describes a "hatteras cast" but the fundamentals apply.

Tommy

Even though I'm not remotely a "distance caster" I will stick my nose in here with an opinion.

1)  Use a shock leader. You're trying to throw twice the recommended weight for 15lb test.

2) Re-engage all 6 of your brake blocks, then set your spool tension to have a slight "knock". This will at least give you chance of a decent cast. Let the reel do most of the line control.

BEAVERTON, OR 97006