Jig Man

Jigman plugs, new stuff

51 posts in this topic

Ok, been way too long since I put a batch of plugs up here. Hoping to change that and put stuff up here on a more regular basis. I have a small batch ready (they’ll be up Tuesday evening). Have several other batches primed and ready for paint and a number of other plugs turned and in various stages of completion. I’ll do my best to get stuff completed and up here in a more timely manner. If there are specific plugs that you want to see, please let me know here and I’ll do what I can to get at least a small batch completed.

Since moving to TN three years ago I have been spending more time chasing stripers in several tailwater areas. Basically, fishing from the bank right below the dam. The closest analogy that I can come up with for surf fishing is the Cape Cod Canal. Like the Canal, these areas can experience high volumes of water, the bank is a 45 degree angle of chunk rock behind you, plenty of bait comes through, and big stripers like it. Like the Canal, sometimes the fish are right at your feet. Other times they are just out of casting range. Bait size and type can change from day to day. Sometimes it’s the small stuff (think peanuts) and other days it might be larger bait (think herring). I’ve been putting a couple of my surf rods (Lami 1322M and CTS Vapor Trail 3-6oz) to good use here. Similar to the Canal, we use a lot of lead and topwater plugs. I’ve been spending some time developing plugs specific to the tailwater areas (pencils, spook types, poppers). Several of these plugs I could put to good use surf fishing. You will be seeing some of these here over the next few months.

So, the next batch of plugs to go up (pictures later) are tailwater poppers. Polaris style, sink, 4 5/8 inch long and around 1 1/2 oz. Lead in the belly. They will throw real well, pop nicely, and even swim between pops. I’ll shoot for Tuesday evening around 7:30 PM for these to go on sale.

Andrew, nice to hear from you. That's crazy to hear your using the same equipment in freshwater that you would use in the canal. Looking forward to seeing your plugs, matt.

7 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Ok, been way too long since I put a batch of plugs up here. Hoping to change that and put stuff up here on a more regular basis. I have a small batch ready (they’ll be up Tuesday evening). Have several other batches primed and ready for paint and a number of other plugs turned and in various stages of completion. I’ll do my best to get stuff completed and up here in a more timely manner. If there are specific plugs that you want to see, please let me know here and I’ll do what I can to get at least a small batch completed.

Since moving to TN three years ago I have been spending more time chasing stripers in several tailwater areas. Basically, fishing from the bank right below the dam. The closest analogy that I can come up with for surf fishing is the Cape Cod Canal. Like the Canal, these areas can experience high volumes of water, the bank is a 45 degree angle of chunk rock behind you, plenty of bait comes through, and big stripers like it. Like the Canal, sometimes the fish are right at your feet. Other times they are just out of casting range. Bait size and type can change from day to day. Sometimes it’s the small stuff (think peanuts) and other days it might be larger bait (think herring). I’ve been putting a couple of my surf rods (Lami 1322M and CTS Vapor Trail 3-6oz) to good use here. Similar to the Canal, we use a lot of lead and topwater plugs. I’ve been spending some time developing plugs specific to the tailwater areas (pencils, spook types, poppers). Several of these plugs I could put to good use surf fishing. You will be seeing some of these here over the next few months.

So, the next batch of plugs to go up (pictures later) are tailwater poppers. Polaris style, sink, 4 5/8 inch long and around 1 1/2 oz. Lead in the belly. They will throw real well, pop nicely, and even swim between pops. I’ll shoot for Tuesday evening around 7:30 PM for these to go on sale.

This is great I'll be following 

7 hours ago, gray gables said:

That's crazy to hear your using the same equipment in freshwater that you would use in the canal. 

Same type of conditions and plugs, so same gear. Plenty of folks use more traditional freshwater gear. Had several occasions where people were watching me hit stripers at 80+ yards out while they waited for them to get in close enough to hit with an 8 foot rod and 1 once plug. Cool place to fish :)

Here ya go Matt, an overview shot of one of the tailwater areas. Water not really moving that day. And a typical tailwater striper (one of my 7 inch red fin clones attached):

jm-tailwater.jpg

jm-tailwater-striper.jpg

25 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

They sink, slightly tail down. 

Thank you for getting back to me.  Am I correct in inferring that  "Slightly tail down" is something like 30 degrees in relation to the water surface? 

Posted (edited)

Just like the Congowingo on the Susquehanna.

What are our payment options going to be?

Edited by DerrickT

14 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Thank you for getting back to me.  Am I correct in inferring that  "Slightly tail down" is something like 30 degrees in relation to the water surface? 

Probably closer to 15 degrees as it sinks.

14 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Just like the Congowingo on the Susquehanna.

What are our payment options going to be?

PayPal,  check, money order will all work.

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

Probably closer to 15 degrees as it sinks.

PayPal,  check, money order will all work.

Thanks!  Looks like it may not matter as i was reminxed this morning i am doing a rescue class tomorrow night starting at 6 :o

If I understood your comment correctly,(that they sink at about 15* from horizontal), that's GREAT!

Will these be on sale here in the CBST forum?

2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

If I understood your comment correctly,(that they sink at about 15* from horizontal), that's GREAT!

Will these be on sale here in the CBST forum?

Correct on the sink and angle. Small batch on sale here Tuesday evening at 7:30 pm eastern time. 

Derek, i'm sure they'll need a break around 7:30 ;-)