tomkaz

Fiberglass in the Salt? Who is using and what?

120 posts in this topic

Hi SMS

Good that is allowed from Finnland to Vancover. I can't take on board a rod tube in the UK. Why it varies so much I do not know.

I recently purchased a couple of Salmo Logic TH and they are 5 piece and will fit inside my checked bags. Regretfully they dont quite do what I hoped they would in the surf. But I have a couple of scandi style Salmon rods. Just need somewhere to fish for Atlantic Salmon that is worthwhile and does not cost me my annual pension for a days fishing.

Mike

I started using one this year and I love it. I bought a Blue Halo. The biggest they make is an 7 wt. but I have no problem throwing big flies with it.

Its the best for kayak fishing, since I have broken more fly rods on a kayak than any other time.  I tried it to catch Albies in Montauk and it was a blast.

I can cast it as far as any other rod, you just need to slow things down. The only problem with it is big wind. You are not going to be able to throw into

a 20 mph wind like I can with a 10 wt. 

I highly recommend the Blue Halo. I bought a blank at the Fly Fishing show for 120.00 and put on the Rec guides in the sizes they suggest.  It was totally worth it

for all the fun I have with it

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, tomkaz said:

For those of you with more experience with glass, do you find a wider range of lines is possible?

I've found that the range of lines a rod will cast depends a lot on the action. The faster tapers seem to cast a wider range, probably because the butt sections load up later in the weight range.

My Bandit (sold as a 10wt) would cast 6 to 10 weight lines but my custom blanks will cast 6 to 12 weights (I don't put a line class on it, but I use them as both an 8 and a 10wt rod.) The latter rods are very fast for 'glass.

Cheers,

Graeme

Edited by Hirdy

Thank you TimS for cleaning up this thread and editing out the non-sequitur comments.  

Has anyone tried the new Echo BAG Quickshot? It is an 8' as opposed to the standard 9' BAG. They marketed the original BAG as a fast rod but the reviews I have read state that it is actually pretty slow.

After lots of years of graphite rods, glass is about all I fish now, both fresh and salt, I just love the way glass feels.  For salt I've got a couple of vintage Fenwicks I built that do all I need.  My favorite is an FF856, 8 1/2' with a detachable fighting butt.  For stripers and blues up here and reds, snook and bones down south I use a WF7 Intermediate on it, just a fantastic and effortless casting rod.  If I need something bigger I've got an FF909 9'/ 2pc with a fighting butt that'll shoot a whole 9wt intermediate line, thing's a dang cannon and very comfortable to cast.  The Fenwicks are neat because they'll handle a range of line weights, but I find that they don't handle shooting heads real well.  No big deal for me because I haven't used one in years.  The FF856 is pure joy with a DT5F or a WF6F for smallies and larger trout streams, no false casting needed, pick up the line, one back cast and shoot it.  For travel I've got an FF806-4, 5-6-7 wt 4pc, that rod has been everywhere with me.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:17 PM, sms said:

Now to think of it, I have an old 12wt (that really was more of a 10wt in terms of lines fit it and I wouldn't have taken it to places where really big fish roamed) that broke at the second section from the tip. I can take that and see how much it can take. Thou I need to extend it as I recovered the reel seat by sawing the rod just above the reel seat....

Well, I failed miserably. As I was setting up the breakage test and seeing how much line I need (since the rod did not have reel seat anymore, the line length management was more difficult than normally), the rod broke. Didn't have my safety goggles on that I had on hand already. Fortunately no splinters flew really. I didn't really think the rod would break THAT easily. I had maybe 5-7lb at the end of the line when the rod broke. The angle was below 90 - maybe around 60-70 degrees. The glass butt rod lifted the whole 17lb (with 90 degrees) that the scale was fixed to - feeled bad and without previous tests I would have not done it. But now knowing I can go beyond my comfort zone and still be on the rod's comfort zone enabled me to do it. So, in this, glass excels.

IMG_4253.JPG

Here is another one I just did as just a fun beater rod for ponds, small streams, and deep backwater holdovers/schoolies. I am sure you all have heard of the Eagle Claw Featherlight. About a year ago I picked up the 7 foot 5/6 wt. from Wally World for just a touch over $20. This weekend I added this fighting butt to it to make it a bit saltier and paired it up with my Behemoth reel and 7 wt. Rio Mainstream line. Casts very well and loads quickly as it is such a short rod. If nothing else it is a fun little combo. The fighting butt is removable and made from the same parts as the one I added to the Ultraglass rod. It just happens to match the Eagle Claw grip perfectly. 

Full_Size_Render_002.jpg

Couple of days now with my hybrids. The glsss works just as intended. The fish goes to the wrong side of the boat - I don't have to follow, I just force the fish back. I can be very careless with these rods. Exactly the stuff I was after.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:00 PM, sms said:

Couple of days now with my hybrids. The glsss works just as intended. The fish goes to the wrong side of the boat - I don't have to follow, I just force the fish back. I can be very careless with these rods. Exactly the stuff I was after.

Bend is where it should be.

IMG_4304.JPG

It was a lot of fun watching "Mad Zak" aka SMS putting he's fiber/carbon hybrids to work. Man they have some serious lifting power and don't snap whatever crazy chit you do.

Look at the pure joy on the man's face!

d-173.JPG

On 7/26/2017 at 1:47 PM, tomkaz said:

A few general discussions of glass rods in this forum but none that I noted that are primarily around using glass rods in SW. Hence this post, especially after the following crack today in the "What Did You Buy Today?". PP52's use of "kool aid" got me wondering..... 

This comment was driven by my saying I am currently having a short 12wt modern glass rod built for use from boat casting to albies and lil tuna. Issue with fiberglass is high-sticking risk (yes, keep the tip in the water but sometimes that just does not happen) and the need to get fish in quickly before the sharks take their tax. 

So who is using fiberglass in SW?
Old glass or new?
Factory or custom?
Speed? Tapers? Line weights? 
Reels?
Conditions? Casting distances? 
Fish-fighting ability?

So who is using what, where, when and how? 

I'm interested in a glass 10 to 12 wt for the same reason, in particular horsing albies around the NC draggers when I do not want a drawn out battle that attracts sharks, and when I do not want to have to be delicate and careful at the boat. So, Tomkaz--did your custom glass 12 wt get built? And have you used it?

I'm already planning to try a Shakespeare Ugly Stik next season, and am looking at the Echo BadAssGlass rods too, especially the 9' 12 wt and the new 8' 10 wt. Anyone have any experience with echo glass rods?

Thanks

The scientific angler system glass rods are worth considering. The blanks were light for their time. There is a ten weight on the auction site for short money currently.

2 hours ago, cgg said:

I'm interested in a glass 10 to 12 wt for the same reason, in particular horsing albies around the NC draggers when I do not want a drawn out battle that attracts sharks, and when I do not want to have to be delicate and careful at the boat. So, Tomkaz--did your custom glass 12 wt get built? And have you used it?

I'm already planning to try a Shakespeare Ugly Stik next season, and am looking at the Echo BadAssGlass rods too, especially the 9' 12 wt and the new 8' 10 wt. Anyone have any experience with echo glass rods?

Thanks

I should have the rod in hand in the next couple of weeks. The builder was impacted by Irma and the. Moved his house/shop this past week. I hope to report back soon, at least in the build. 

I have ave make a comment regarding short rods for albies. I was incredible impressed with the beating that the Hardy Sintrix rod took in the blacktiph video of trying to lands Goliath in a fly rod. Before the brief losing battle with the Goliath, John landed both albies and a black tip shark on that rod and really applied some heat. It was a custom stick on a Sintrix blank and likely rated 14+, but it was a workhorse. But, that stick in a 12wt and 7.5-8’ length would be killer on horsing albies to the boat before the bullies get them. 

If the MacFarland 12 wt does not work as hoped, I may have to find a Sintrix blank.